Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures???

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #1  

EagleEye

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC35 w/16LA loader
Guys, over the past year or so, I built two nice work benches in my garage. They are each 8', really nice and I need the loader to move them /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I used the plans provided in a Reader's Digest (the Family Handyman) Woodworking Room by Room book. They were the best designs I could find for general purpose. I decided to move one of them to the basement to set up my wood working shop there.

HOWEVER, I would like to build some more benches that are narrower and only about 2-2.5' wide standing next to the wall. I was wondering if you guys have any nice pictures, plans, ideas that you could share here before I create my own. I will be using these benches for garage work like working on my tractor, vehicles, aircompressor stuff, dremel, etc.... Planning to save my woodworking for the walk out basement. I would also like to set these up to have shelves that I can store bolts, nuts, etc. ...

Any great ideas? I'd really appreciate your knowledge sharing (especially pictures and/or plans). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks in advance.

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #2  
SIR,
i would suggest you post at www.woodmagazine.com. they have
all kinds of work bench plans.
accordionman
william l. brown
wright city, mo.

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures???
Re: Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/picture

Thanks Accordionman!

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #4  
If you know someone that is remodeling their kitchen grab their old cabinets and counter top. Counter tops are about the width you want and old cabinets are great for storage.

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #5  
That is what I did. I will try and get a pic of it soon.
I used two bottom 36" cabinets. Moved them apart so they were 8' from outside to outside. Took 3/4 plywood, cut in half lenghtwise and put on top. That left a good space in the middle for trash can ect..
Then, collecting all the extra ceramic tile left over from three bathrooms, I tiled the top, put a 6" splash gaurd on the back, and tiled the front edge.
I have not beat on it with a hammer or anything yet, but have had plenty of oil/grease all over it and it cleans well.
You can get cheap ceramic tile for $.78 at most home centers.

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #6  

EagleEye,

The next workbench I make will have the frame welded up out of angle-iron rather than wood. Probably a 3/4 plywood top. I think the welded joints will be stronger than most joints in wood, especially over time. (faster too) New iron is ~$1 to $1.30/ft in a reasonable size range. Good excuse to buy a saw and welder if you don't have them.

John

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #7  

On top of the plywood top I glue some 1/8 white tub surround hardboard, white side down. I use only one bead of glue along the edge. The brown surface up makes a super bench top that is smooth, easy to clean, water resistant, and by slipping a putty knife along the glue line can be removed in minutes for replacement.

It is the best bench top material I have seen. When you replace it after a few years keep the old piece fas a layover for when you glue, paint, or weld.

Also, I have found that benches in the center of the shop are better than along the edge, which have too much tendency to become shelves full of junk.

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #8  

What I have found that works well for storing tools is good old Steelcase Filing Cabinets. They are sturdy and really take abuse, and the metal boxes for Milwaukee tools fit in the drawers perfectly. I have two 5-drawer cabinets in my garage that hold most of my power tools. You could easily slide 2 drawer ones under most work benches...even suspend them from the top. Or you could raise them up on some sort of stand, and use them to hold up the bench. A 3 drawer cabinet is just a hair too tall to use as a workbench support. The college here sells them for $40 for a 5 drawer, $20 for a two drawer. I would bet that you can find similar deals at a used office furniture supplier.

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures??? #9  

<font color="red">"Also, I have found that benches in the center of the shop are better than along the edge, which have too much tendency to become shelves full of junk." </font>

Don't we know!!!!

/ Work Benches - Looking for plans/ideas/pictures???

Two weeks ago, I moved my existing workbenches up against the wall to the middle... That's why I want to build a new bench/storage unit for against the wall. I plan to fill about 15 feet of wall space... I have peg board from about 4 ft up to the ceiling...

I'm still looking for bench ideas and pictures... I went out to a bunch of those web sites but you either have to pay or what they have doesn't meet my needs... I'm betting (hoping /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)that some of you guys have even better ideas implemented.