Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #42  
Dude is in a rice paddy drilling a well. Just how deep do you think the hole needs to be to hit water?

6"? lol

Notice the smiley at the end? It was a joke.

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #43  
Be sure to check the laws in your area. In many places only licensed well drillers are allowed to drill wells. They want to make sure the aquifer doesn't get contaminated for one thing. The casing has to be sealed properly to prevent entry of surface water.

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #44  
abou30 years ago my father wanted a well to water the lawn in south MS. he hit water at 20 dr. Drilled or drove to 40 ft. The well people just jetted the casing into the ground. Of cores this was south Mississippi and we had no rocks. They dropped the end of a 4inch trash pump in dads pool to draw water from. Hooked the output of the trash pump to a long 4 inch hose that that was connected to the 4 in casing. Started the trash pump and dropped the well casing into the ground. that well still gets used several times a week.

Now if you can to that in Tyler Texas or not I don't know. But it is a thought

good luck

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #45  
have you checked out this? How to Drill Your Own Water Well I love the fact where you can use cheap inexpensive stuff from lowes/home depot.

I tried it. What happens is that you get down so far and then the pipe will stick and then you're screwed. You have to use the front-end loader and chain to pull it out and start all over again. It can be done...but its a huge, huge amount of work and really time consuming because you have to go so slow and keep the pipe moving at all times. I gave up. I drove a sand point with a jack hammer. You can do in 15 minutes what it takes all day to do with the washing method.

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #46  
Dude is in a rice paddy drilling a well. Just how deep do you think the hole needs to be to hit water?

Based on rod pulled out of the hole and the number of couplers missing as they put the last piece of pipe in it looks to be 45-60' deep.

The little machine he was using should be capable of 150', maybe more in easy conditions. For the area and conditions he was working in it sure seemed like a good fit.

Mr. HE:cool:

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #47  
I tried it. What happens is that you get down so far and then the pipe will stick and then you're screwed. You have to use the front-end loader and chain to pull it out and start all over again. It can be done...but its a huge, huge amount of work and really time consuming because you have to go so slow and keep the pipe moving at all times. I gave up. I drove a sand point with a jack hammer. You can do in 15 minutes what it takes all day to do with the washing method.

My experience too. But I did a shallow well. Going deep is a whole nother game. FWIW.....I "vacuumed" my starter hole to a depth of about six feet in my sandy soils. Used a shop-vac with a cut teeth in the open end of a rigid plastic tube. Worked fantastic. Then used a jack hammer to drive my pipe to nearly 30 feet deep. Good well.

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #48  
If you run in to problems one could always salvage the hole by pulling it up an cutting to lengths, and selling them for post holes
but be careful if in windy country and have cactus, as if they get blown around they could get so many holes in the that will not hold dirt, then they would not be any good to any body.;)

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #50  
Is there only dirt 40 feet down? The first good size rock would be a problem.