Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I want to drill a well. My water table is about 40 feet down, and I'm thinking that I should drill a six inch hole, 100 feet deep. If this works, I will want to do at least two more of the, and maybe more.

My thinking is to do this with a six inch auger attached to two inch pipe, ten feet long. Drill down ten feet, unhook it, and attach another ten foot pipe. To get the dirt out of the hole, I'll attach something like this Water Swivel Well Drilling DIY Ers | eBay

I have a 1 1/2 inch water line into my house and can easily run a one inch line to where I want to drill the well. If water is going down the pipe and out near the auger, the water coming back up the hole will carry the dirt with it. Is this correct?

I have a Universal Quick Attach on my full size New Holland 555E, so hydraulic power and down force should be a given. All I have to do is attach the hoses from the pump running the auger to the lines I already have in place that open and close my grapple. Then I can turn the auger, or reverse it if I need to. I have 4,000 lbs of lift capacity, so weight wont be a problem.

I also have enough height that I can do this in ten foot section. I'm a little nervous about getting the pipe apart after it's threaded together, but with some thread stuff to stop it from locking, I might be alright. Really , If I can get the hole dug, I can pull it up in one piece and deal with getting it apart down the road.

That is my thinking so far. My question is what pump should I get, and where can I get a it, to run an Auger that I can adapt to run two inch threaded pipe?

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #2  
how do you get the dirt out as you dig. it will seal itself up

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well
From what I understand, the water will wash the dirt out. I will attach a one inch, or 1 1/2 inch line to the water swivel and the water will run down the length of the 2 inch pipe that I'm going to use. I will put some holes in the pipe, or maybe the auger, and the water will come out the bottom of the hole and work its way up the hole, with the loose dirt. At least his is what I'm hoping will happen.

water swivel for well drilling - Google Search

Eddie

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #6  
Eddie, if you plan on using reverse, you better plan on pinning the connections, or you will just unscrew the pipe and then you will be in a bad bad way. And then you still have to worry about shearing off a pin. :eek:

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #7  
not sure what kind of dirt he has, but here a 1" water line wouldnt push up a head of dirt 40'.

The drill rigs here use high pressure lines to extract or push product. They have major pressure behind them.

But other than that, it would be cool to try it and see what happens. Worse thing you lose an auger.

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #8  
not sure what kind of dirt he has, but here a 1" water line wouldnt push up a head of dirt 40'.

The drill rigs here use high pressure lines to extract or push product. They have major pressure behind them.

But other than that, it would be cool to try it and see what happens. Worse thing you lose an auger.

One of those things, don't know without trying. :confused3:

/ Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well #9  
   / Home made Hydraulic post hole digger for drilling a well
I think the water pressure is going to be alright. What I'm wondering, and don't know anything about, is sizing and deciding on a hydraulic pump without buying a hydraulic post hole digger. I'm on Amazon, McMaster Carr and Surplus Center. Any thoughts on how much GPM I need to turn an auger?

As for running it in reverse, I don't know of any reason I will need this. I'm thinking balls to the wall, full speed ahead, and see what happens.

Eddie