Air Compressor Advice

/ Air Compressor Advice #11  
   / Air Compressor Advice #12  
First question would have is how portable it needs to be??

Basically, you arent going to get 15 years out of any oil-less compressors today under $400. They are disposable units.

So you can spend $250-$300 and get a decient horizontal unit. But if it were me, Id get one of the 60 gallon single stage units. They are usually in the $400-$500 range. Lowes has kobalt, TSC has CH, and menards has sanborn. You can save $100 or $150 but IMO, you get ALOT less compressor.

And it isnt just "pro-grade" tools that want alot of air. Even a harbor freight die grinder or air drill sucks alot of air.

/ Air Compressor Advice
Thanks for all the replies. My compressor is not a belt drive .I'll have my friend do a once over and see if can identify any minor problem, but as I wrote, I won't spend very much money fixing a 15 year old unit. I'll take your recommendations in mind and do dome shopping. Thanks again.

Will

/ Air Compressor Advice #15  
keep us posted on what you decide:thumbsup:

/ Air Compressor Advice #16  
In my opinion, the Emglo is just about as good as you are going get. I have two of them. A wheelbarrow one in my shop and a portable one that I take out on jobs.

For $250 from Lowes, it's a pretty good value compared to what else is out there in that price range.

Shop Emglo 1.1-HP 4-Gallon 125-PSI Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com

Eddie

Two points...

Eddie is spot on the Emglo...
I've had the same unit in the ad for over 27 years and it is very reliable...
Never a minutes bit of trouble with it...

I've had very good luck buying on Craigslist...
Purchases a 30 gal 6 HP unit that was stolen later replaced with a 60 gal 6 HP unit...
My advise is to get an oiled compressor with at least a 30 gal tank...
It will require a 220 volt hook up...
I am not a fan of oil less compressors...

/ Air Compressor Advice #17  
Why not try to repair it? It could be as simple as a stuck unloader valve.

Those old compressor are incredibly strong. It could easily go for another 15 years.
Like you said, the new models are crap. Some goes for most other brands, like Ingersoll Rand.
Quincy is still good.

Try your luck here: Reciprocating air compressor troubleshooting problems and repair

Good luck, Pawon

/ Air Compressor Advice #18  
If your old Craftsman is a belt drive unit and the only thing wrong is the motor is throwing a breaker, I'd consider a rebuild or repair the best option.

I am also facing the same issue with my previous motor which we are using for industrial purpose, Motor is not performing right with its belt driving unit. So, we prefer to buy new eatoncompressor Motor now its working fine.

fingers crossed :laughing: