Air Compressor Advice

/ Air Compressor Advice #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I think I need a new compressor. Went to turn on my 15 year old Craftsman and it moaned and then tripped a circuit breaker in the garage. I may have a friend look at it (I'm clueless about electric motors, etc.), but I certainly won't be spending much money to fix a 15 year old unit that costs $250 or so new.

That compsssor was a 33 gallon, oil free unit, rated at 150 psi. It did everything I needed it to- inflate tires, ran a 1/2" impact wrench for changing mower blades and tires, etc. I can't see myself needing or wanting anything more from a compressor.

I normally would just get a comparable replacement unit from Sears, but the reviews I have read are terrible on the new Craftsmans.

Any recommendations? Please don't recommend a two stage, 80 gallon compressor-while I have pro quality outdoor power equipment, I don't have the knowledge or ability to utilize pro quality garage equipment (I do the routine services on the vehicles, toys, and tractors, use air to clean things off, and inflate tires). I do want something that should give me another 15 years of service and be able to run my $125 IR 1/2" impact wrench (at work, don't remember the requirements in CFM for that wrench, I'm sure some of you guys will know the requirements of a wrench like that)-hopefully for less than $400.

Thanks,

Will

Last edited:
   / Air Compressor Advice #2  
The big question to ask is will you use the compressor to power contractor type tools, such as air nailers? I have air nailers, so my compressor is portable and this causes me to pay a price in terms of overall capacity and tank size.

If all you need is a shop/garage compressor there are plenty available, but I can't give you a lot of help with a brand. My experience is that the ones which need oil are more quiet and more durable than the oil-free ones.

Personally, I would be inclined to get one from Harbor Freight and keep the rest of the money in my pocket.

/ Air Compressor Advice #3  
I bought a Harbor Freight's Central Pneumatic 10 gallon air compressor 6 years ago to supplement my Rol-Air pancake compressor. It continues to serve me well.

I am pleased to hear you recieved so many years of service from an oiless unit. In the construction field the oil air compressors are the choice of most contractors I have worked with. They are slightly quieter & last longer with constant use.

/ Air Compressor Advice #5  
What I have in the garage right now for use very similar to what you describe - a Senco PC1010 1/2 HP (no oil) which cost $120 or so. It is designed to run small air nailers/staplers but will do more. Sometimes I have it hooked up to a Hyundai 5 gal air tank which cost $35. The Senco on its own will do 75% of what I need. With the extra air tank it will do about 90% of what I need, such as fill large pickup tires and run a 1/2 IR impact wrench doing tires, engine work, front end work. This set up is cheap, quiet, light. It does the light garage work, can be used in the house for trim, and carried onto the roof with one hand if you need it up there. It has got a lot of use for about 2 years now by me and others in the family. Pretty much replaced my 25 year old Emglo which is still going strong but much heavier. At our country place I have a IR 2HP Garage Mate which I got on clearance for $375. It is also several years old and seems like a good piece of equipment for heavier use. I always look at Craftsman out of habit but they dont seem to get very good reviews these days.

/ Air Compressor Advice #6  
If your old Craftsman is a belt drive unit and the only thing wrong is the motor is throwing a breaker, I'd consider a rebuild or repair the best option.

/ Air Compressor Advice #7  
Will;

If it is belt drive, take belt off and see if motor runs. That may tell you if issue is the motor or the compressor.

Good luck!

Rick

/ Air Compressor Advice #8  
If you run an impact wrench (or a spray gun) from it, i wouldnt take an oil free compressor: These things are known to overheat from continuous running to keep up with the demand of an impact wrench or spray gun, which causes the Teflon piston ring to melt and stick the piston. Probably thats what happened to yours as well. Even for hobby use, the occasional hour of continuous running to maintain air pressure for high capacity tools may melt the piston ring. Oiled compressors have metal piston rings like combustion engines, making them a lot more reliable.

/ Air Compressor Advice #9  
Even for hobby use, the occasional hour of continuous running to maintain air pressure for high capacity tools may melt the piston ring.

Renze,

Good advice but...

If the OP truly is running the compressor continuously for "an occasional hour" straight then the OP has a way undersized compressor.

The only thing so far that does this to my 60gal 6.5hp v-twin is my sandblasting cabinet.

I run it till the compressor kicks on; then let it fill back up before resuming the blasting.

Annoying yes but much better than cooking the pump or motor.

/ Air Compressor Advice #10  
If the OP truly is running the compressor continuously for "an occasional hour" straight then the OP has a way undersized compressor.
I toasted mine when spray painting a road sweep i built some years back. with a spray gun it did indeed run allmost continuously, and so it did with the impact wrench, if i used it for e.g. changeing tedder tines, which are mounted with selflocking nuts.