Gannon Roll-over Box Blade (ROBB) Convert to hydraulic?

/ Gannon Roll-over Box Blade (ROBB) Convert to hydraulic? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Now that the rear remotes are installed on my Kubota B9200, I'm thinking about opportunities presented by the new capability. One, among many, that come to mind is converting the ROBB to hydraulic and how to get the 180 degrees of rotation required to utilize all three functions of the ROBB. (Forward blade, rear blade and rippers). First thought was a cylinder on each end with a linkage to get the 1/2 turn rotation. Next thought is a closed loop cable system that would pass over and be anchored to a 15" diameter "spool" on each end of the ROBB. The cable would be reversed at one end to keep it in sync with the other end and would have a turnbuckle out in the middle to tension the cable. The hydraulic cylinder would lay across the front frame of the ROBB and attach to the cable with enough stroke (about 24") to rotate the ROBB the 1/2 turn required.
I have nothing against the mechanical method the ROBB uses to index between functions just thought it would be cool to convert to hydraulic. Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

/ Gannon Roll-over Box Blade (ROBB) Convert to hydraulic? #2  
I think I would leave it mechanically rotated and use the hydraulics for a tilt cylinder in the blade or hitch. Or put some hydraulic-adjustable, detachable wheels behind it for better grading.

I would have more use for either of those than a hydraulic rotation.

Bruce

/ Gannon Roll-over Box Blade (ROBB) Convert to hydraulic?
I like the idea of the hydraulic-adjustable, detachable wheels...........I do have a three spool rear remote installed and a top link on it's way from Brian at Fit Rite Hydraulics. Not sure if I'm going to be able to adapt a tilt cylinder as the B9200 has an interference issue with the ROPS mount.

Edit: Maybe wouldn't need the hydraulic-adjustable feature on the wheels since the top cylinder could adjust cutting depth. Would give better depth control than just using the 3PT position control? The gauge wheels could be mounted so as to be manually pivoted up over the top of the ROBB when not being used?

Last edited:
   / Gannon Roll-over Box Blade (ROBB) Convert to hydraulic?
I can see where the hydraulic trip would be good when there is a cab involved. And a tractor with a cab is likely to have factory rear remotes also, I suppose.
I'll be the first to admit that retrofitting hydraulic rollover is defeating the purpose of the original "mechanical" rollover design but just thought it would be cool to roll it hydraulically. Wouldn't really be any advantage over a conventional box blade with hydraulic actuated rippers. IMHO I guess the idea of using closed loop cable comes from the dump wagons that we used to build. They had like a 10' stroke cylinder at the front and rear and the cable system was used to keep the cylinders in sink. The wagons were used to dump harvested field commodities such as sugar beets into over-the-road trucks.
Thanks for the interesting Land Pride link, Brian.