Vertical bush hog idea

/ Vertical bush hog idea #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
I would like to clear some grown in branches on old roads etc.. What if I mounted a 13 hp horizontal shaft engine inside my front end loader bucket so the shaft was sticking out the side of the bucket. Then mount a bush hog drum/blade to it and have a guard protecting the cab. What diameter blade could a use with 13 hp and do you think this would work.

/ Vertical bush hog idea #2  
won't work. Nothing to hold the brush from getting pulled with the blades. On the ground, the roots holds the brush.

/ Vertical bush hog idea #3  
Long ago I had a lawnmower that had a front edge serrated or notched to hold taller material. Best weed mower I've ever had.

If you did something like that so the leading edge of a blade covering disk was kind of like a sickle mower, but with a rotary cutter instead of reciprocating, it might work.

ivan-eu-flag.png

Bruce

/ Vertical bush hog idea
I don't know the proper name but what are those articulated bush hog things that are on a boom. I see the farmers using them to clear branches from trees around the perimeter of farm fields and dept of highways cutting grass/brush in ditches. They are hydraulic. They have no problem cutting branches. How do they cut.

/ Vertical bush hog idea #5  
I don't know the proper name but what are those articulated bush hog things that are on a boom. I see the farmers using them to clear branches from trees around the perimeter of farm fields and dept of highways cutting grass/brush in ditches. They are hydraulic. They have no problem cutting branches. How do they cut.

All those I've seen around here used for cutting branches are flail mowers.

Bruce

PS: I see that Bush Hog has a rotary head available for their boom mower. Says it is for grass and brush. I wonder how it would work in the vertical position.

http://www.bushhog.com/product-line/reach-mowers/boom-mowers.html

/ Vertical bush hog idea #6  
Rotary boom mower is what they use around here.. really tears up the trees :)

mower.jpg

Attachments

• rbc1.jpg
    rbc1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 488
   / Vertical bush hog idea #7  
I would at least use pivoting blades like a bush hog, i once used our Toro as a bushhog and bent the crankshaft when it stalled instantly on a stump. Pivoting blades could have prevented that.

/ Vertical bush hog idea #8  
i've seen a sickle bar in vertical mounted on a FEL on youtube or over here... don't remember where :(

/ Vertical bush hog idea #10  
vertical sickle mower in a FEL...