Parade/Hay Ride Wagon

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon #1  

Bills49Cub

Tractor
1949 CUb, 1951 Farmall H, 1951 Oliver Row Crop 88
Hi, I am new to the group and have been trying tirelessly to figure out how to make/acquire a good, well built small hay ride/parade wagon for my 1949 Cub. I have tried other forums but more opinions on this, the better. These are the links I have come up with so far for suppliers of either gear and/or full trailers.

Utility Dump Wagons & Trailers for ATV, lawn and garden by CMI.
Pioneer Equipment Manufacturers and Distributors of Quality Horsedrawn Farm Equipment since 1978, Factory Direct Prices
Horse-Drawn Wagons from Nu-Trail Wagon Sales
Wagons for Sale/Carriage Restoration and Repair in Pennsylvania/Amish, Menonite Buggies
Amish Made Compact Farm Wagon | Old Fashioned Wagons | Amish Made Carts & Wagons 40917
Model 3000 - Kory Farm Equipment LLC
E-Z Trail Compact Wagons | E-Z Trail Farm Wagons - Arthur, IL

These range from very high end Amish made wagons to basic running gears. Does any body have any thoughts? I have pretty much come down to wanting to get something like the Kory. But, I am debating whether i want to buy just the gear or buy the gear with the 4' X 8' Rack for it and build up from there. I have messaged one other person I found on here who has something similar...but and guidance would be great. I am a fairly handy person and if guided can build anything (less welding). I would like something with stakes and guards on the side...so, that is kind of where I get lost in the construction aspect...but where the Kory rack would come in handy...Thanks for the help everyone!

Bill

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon #2  
If it were me, I'd buy the running gear and build from there. Easier to customize for your purposes - fold iut steps and/or hand rail. Consider keeping it on the small size. I don't know how the terrain is in your part of the world, but a large wagon filled with people can be heavy and difficult to stop at will.

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon #4  
Just tagging this thread as I would also like to build one.

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon
You could drive 5 miles down the road and look at this one. ATV WAGON 2,200 LB CAPACITY

Funny...That was the first place I thought of. I don't know for sure...but it seems like the Kory and E-Z Trail are made just a little bit tougher. I am not sure. I am out of the country right now, but will be home in a couple weeks. I will go by and look in person, if they have it in the store. But I jsut want to make sure the gear is of ample construction, which the other two seem to be. But, if anyone tells me otherwise, I am open to hear!

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon #6  
I bought the same wagon at Northern Tool about 12 years ago. I paid just over $200 then so the wagon certainly is priced right. But, you are correct, the Kory is a much better made wagon.

I bought the wagon initially as parade wagon as I made a handsome half scale hay rack that was painted green and yellow to match my John Deere 445 garden tractor I had at the time. It sure was cute but I decided after a few parades I should put it to work hauling split firewood. Even a half scale wagon loaded with oak firewood has some weight to it. I don't think I exceeded the 2,200 capacity that the manufacturer rates the wagon at but I'm sure I was at least a half of a ton. Well, it didn't take too long to do some damage to the the front spindles. The steering is pretty loose and needs some work. Of course, for $200 I can darn near buy a new one for the cost to repair this one.

The local fleet farm has the Cory 3000 gear on sale for just over $600. I think if I were to do it over again I would buy the Cory gear. It has the much larger tires and the whole gear is much beefier. But if you want a small wagon for some smaller jobs the inexpensive wagon will work. But in my opinion if you start to approach the 2,000 pound capacity then you may have some durability issues. If the wagon is to haul a few people in a parade or a hayride about ten people would push you to the limit. I'm not sure ten could fit on this size wagon, especially we larger Minnesota people.

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon #7  
Just an oppion,
My FIL had a IH cub, and it is more than a lawn tractor in size, and to keep a scale,

I would consider a wagon bed at least 6 foot wide and 10 feet long, for the scale aspect of the wagon,

I know hay wagons designee have changed to what type of hay is being hauled, over the years, but my idea is the classic loose hay wagon, with up right front and back of the wagon bed, http://www.desertclassics.com/image3/HayWagonRedWheels1.jpg this is a old wooden wheel wagon but the type of designee I think of,
I would probably strive for some thin like this,
Amish wooden hay wagon
most old hay wagons were wood beds and I think easily made,
most running gears were bought, (I have to say the idea of the link above of the modified rims with the spokes for the wood wheel or steel wheel look) Chats Custom built wagons for parades homecoming advertising hayrides for sale

I my self would only consider tires that were of at least automotive quality, not ATV size or weight capacity

I would moat likely just look for a old wagon running gear, and rebuild or repair, I have an old Oliver (form what I can figure), running gear, that is just setting rubber tire-ed what I remember it is adjustable for length and I think width,
And or just build it with some spindles and tubing.

one may glean some in for looking through the old posts,
Search Results - TractorByNet.com

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon
Just an oppion,
My FIL had a IH cub, and it is more than a lawn tractor in size, and to keep a scale,

I would consider a wagon bed at least 6 foot wide and 10 feet long, for the scale aspect of the wagon,

I know hay wagons designee have changed to what type of hay is being hauled, over the years, but my idea is the classic loose hay wagon, with up right front and back of the wagon bed, http://www.desertclassics.com/image3/HayWagonRedWheels1.jpg this is a old wooden wheel wagon but the type of designee I think of,
I would probably strive for some thin like this,
Amish wooden hay wagon
most old hay wagons were wood beds and I think easily made,
most running gears were bought, (I have to say the idea of the link above of the modified rims with the spokes for the wood wheel or steel wheel look) Chats Custom built wagons for parades homecoming advertising hayrides for sale

I my self would only consider tires that were of at least automotive quality, not ATV size or weight capacity

I would moat likely just look for a old wagon running gear, and rebuild or repair, I have an old Oliver (form what I can figure), running gear, that is just setting rubber tire-ed what I remember it is adjustable for length and I think width,
And or just build it with some spindles and tubing.

one may glean some in for looking through the old posts,
Search Results - TractorByNet.com

Ideally, it would be nice to have something that is 6' X 10', but i am afraid the brakes would totally fail me if I would to go that big and fill it with people. I am goingtowards a 4' X 8' that, ultimately will look like a Radio Flyer ATW wagon. 4' X 8' will allow me to get my wife, two small kids and maybe a couple friends inside without blowing my weight and overloading the brakes. We have some small hills and I am confident my brakes will hold out for me with a lightly loaded trailer...but much mroethan that and I would be concerned about not being able to stop and the weight of the trailer overpowering the compression of the engine in a lower gear. I don't think I would ever get close to maxing out weight on the Kory, or any trailer for that matter. My concern is the basic lifespan of the trailer, wheels, bearings, etc. I don't want to have it and in 10 years, worry about stuff starting to get loose and shakey on it. I am going to put my own time and patience into making a good solid, attractive bed and I want the bed and gear to last a long long time.

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon #9  
I have no idea what your budget is, but if you did use a car differential or small pick up with hydraulic brakes there is a coupler that has a master cylinder in it and when the weigh/inertia is on the hitch the brakes are applied, and not when pulled against, there self activating no controller needed. normally called "surge brakes"
(the url posted is for example), most any trailer supply place can get them, or sell them. most likely one would have to put a ball on the draw bar of the tractor, as mot are ball hitch designs.
Hydraulic Surge Trailer Brake Actuators at Trailer Parts Superstore

and they do have wheel kits if you do not want to reuse automotive parts,

/ Parade/Hay Ride Wagon
I have no idea what your budget is, but if you did use a car differential or small pick up with hydraulic brakes there is a coupler that has a master cylinder in it and when the weigh/inertia is on the hitch the brakes are applied, and not when pulled against, there self activating no controller needed. normally called "surge brakes"
(the url posted is for example), most any trailer supply place can get them, or sell them. most likely one would have to put a ball on the draw bar of the tractor, as mot are ball hitch designs.
Hydraulic Surge Trailer Brake Actuators at Trailer Parts Superstore

and they do have wheel kits if you do not want to reuse automotive parts,

My other problem is space...wish I had more of it! I only have a small gate to my back yard where this will be parked. I have to keep it under 6'wide...preferably narrower...it is a fairly tight fit back there, so, it cannot be much wider than the cub.