walking beam axle suspension question.

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #1  

rasorbackq

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720
Planing on building a multi use trailer with a walking beam suspension. My question is I plan to use 2 x 3 x 1/8 " wall tubing but how do I make the holes through both sides of the tube for the stub axle? I have never seen a 1 3/4 drill bit . Would a bi metal hole saw drill through the tubs? Or is the a better tool?

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #2  
A hole saw at slow RPM,s will cut through 1/8" steel. Biggest problem is usually chip removal, the saw teeth load up you have to raise the saw out of the steel, clean out the chips and then start drilling again.

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #3  
I have used bi-metal hole saws for a number of projects and recently used them to cut 2", 3", 4" and 5" round plates out of 5/8" steel for shooting targets. 1/8" is a breeze. As oldnslo stated, slow RPM and cutting fluid/oil will allow many uses from even "cheaper" brand name saws.

If you want to use a regular bit, silver and deming reduced shank bits are available but I would hate to guess what a quality 1/2" shank x 1 3/4" bit would set you back ( $100+?).

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #4  
drilling a small hole on the edge of the track that the hole saw is making, will give a place for chips to work out of, and most likely will not over power a home shop drill press,

ENCO does/did sell 1 3/4" bits but one most of the time will still have to step the drill sizes, to be able to dill the hole if you can get your hole saw close that is most likely the easiest way,

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #5  
Hole saw would be the best unless you can access a 1 3/4" bit, but which ever you use to drill with, make sure you are clamping everything firm as a hole that size requires a lot of torque. When I built my walking beam I had access to a machine shop and used the same tubing as you are but I had some shoulder spacers made to stiffen the wall of the tubing where it is welded as I didn't think it would stand up the the weight that it would see and I only used 1100lb axle stubs. I will see if I have any pictures of my beams when I was building it. Grandson is asleep in the computer room right now.

Steve
Nova Scotia

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #7  
Doesn't the stub axle get welded in? Why not just take a piece of pipe for a guide and cut it out with a torch. Much, much faster.

/ walking beam axle suspension question.
Your right a torch would be faster ......... but I don't have a torch. But I did buy a hole saw today.

/ walking beam axle suspension question. #9  
Your right a torch would be faster ......... but I don't have a torch. But I did buy a hole saw today.

Before you venture into this call around.

Don't know the price/quality hole saw you bought but it MAY be cheaper and safer to have a machine shop drill the holes for you!

Granted you can bring the pieces to the shop...just a thought.