Windmill tower

/ Windmill tower #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
I have a 8' fan and pump from a windmill that was taken down years back. I straightened the fan blades and filled the oil galley with automatic transmission fluid. I have it on a 9' stand temporarily just to see if it would require additional work / repairs. It has been turning for two years without a problem or oil leak.
I want to construct a tower approximately 12' high adjacent to my house. As the unit itself weighs approximately 350# ( yes large cast housing + fan ) I am wondering about under ground reinforcement, tower size ( would like to use a single steel beam ) with a ground plate system to level it. Single beam system would work best for grass cutting and space. No ladder for climbing also a plus to keep adventurous people looking instead of participating.

/ Windmill tower #2  
Don't have any engineering help for you, just a thought - weight support is going to be MINOR compared to side loading from wind... Steve

/ Windmill tower #3  
Aermotor, Baker or other? There's plenty of old towers still around (as well as new avail) that you could cut down to shorter heigth. No matter the make, it should have a high wind override that will kick it out of the wind in heavy winds. Also, obviously take it out of gear when heavy winds are anticipated.

We've set-up, taken down, restored numerous windmills for pumping water over the years. It's amazing how many are still around that are simply overlooked.

Good luck!

/ Windmill tower
That is what got me to thinking was the side load pressure. Although it would not be high off the ground and in a secluded area that amount of weight shifting around may cause problems. I guess it is 20' angle iron time with some reinforcements / braces.
The over ride brackets were broken when the tower crashed to earth. There is a band brake on the rotar so that could still be made to play. Have to get back to you on the make. I think it was made in Superior, Wisconsin if I have my second hand information correct.

/ Windmill tower #5  
Do some checking on Ebay and a google search for "aermotor" or "baker water wind mill". There's lots of parts and pieces still being made, you can probably get whatever you need to fix it up right. Small towers are pretty inexpensive as well. Then you know it's made to handle it.

/ Windmill tower #6  
If it is a aeromotor you will need to change to a non detergent 10 wt oil or it will leak, the way the oil scraper works it will not work with detergent oils, as they will get by the oil scraper,

/ Windmill tower #7  
I put up a 3 legged tower for a CB antana 20 some years ago. You know the type, each side is about 10 inches wide and made out of what looks like 3/4 inch water pipe with a lot of zig-zag bracing welded to it. If I remember correctly, it called for a minimum of 1 yard of concrete if it was under 20 feet high. I dug a hole 42 inches square and deep, stuck it in and filled it with concrete and never had a problem. In fact, it is still there today.

With an 8' fan on top, my guess is it would require a lot more than what I did.

/ Windmill tower #9  
I would think a 4" pipe would do you well set it about 5 foot deep in concrete,

if wanted one could weld nuts on the pipe so one could put 6" bolts in the nuts and make a ladder that could be removed, to keep little monkeys at bay.

/ Windmill tower
Its a Duplex windmill head. About twice as heavy as a aermotor as I have both with an eight foot fan. For the price of some angle iron I will go the tower route.

Last edited: