Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I've got a chance to pick up a Smithy bench top mill/drill/lathe at a reasonable price.

Model is a Midas 1220 LTD

Anyone here own or use one and care to comment?

And are they domestic or foreign made.

Midas Combo - Features | smithy.com

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #2  
I bought a granite 1340 about 8 years ago and still use it today. I like it and the only problems I've had with it is the speed control burnt up in it once. But I got a new one and haven't had any problems since. As for where they are made I'm not sure but if I had to guess I would say foreign but don't quote me on that.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe
I bought a granite 1340 about 8 years ago and still use it today. I like it and the only problems I've had with it is the speed control burnt up in it once. But I got a new one and haven't had any problems since. As for where they are made I'm not sure but if I had to guess I would say foreign but don't quote me on that.

thanks for the reply.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #4  
I've not used a combo machine, but when I was looking the consistent view I found combo's are an ok lathe and a poor mill. If you the room and budget you'll be happier with separate machines (according the advice I found...). But having said that, if I saw a good deal on a combo when I was shopping I probably would have gotten it.

I bought new a Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe, and later a tiny mill (because the mill was stupid cheap). I am not a machinist, I just got it to play with. I'm very happy with my purchases.

If it doesn't come with a quick change tool post, that is an excellent upgrade. I got a new import QCTP for around $70 IIRC.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #5  
The combination machines are OK for small parts but are limited on what they can handle.
You need to look at things like the bore size through the lathe head and slide travels to determine if the machine will be able to do what you need.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #6  
I have put a few hours on the smithy and for light work is does OK. These are not precision machines and should be treated as such. Tolerances of +/-.005 you may hold IF you get everything dialed in properly. On the one I used the ways wore quickly and made moving the slides full travel very difficult.

NOTE: This was in a shop with people running it that never should have touched a machine.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #7  
They are OK if that is all the room you have but as others have said they are quite limited in what they can do.

Not to mention if you have operations that require a lathe, mill and drill press you can get into a lot of setup time switching from one to another. For example the tool post and the Z axis for the lathe is also the vise for the mill.

So if you move the Z axis to thread a shaft using the lathe then want to mill wrench flats on the shaft you would have to re indicate the vise.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #8  
I have a Harbor Freight model that appears to be identical to the 1220. Bought it for about $300 "used" ( couldn't tell it wasn't brand new) off Ebay. I use it a lot. I am always looking/watching for
a full size mill or larger lathe but the truth is, I don't have shop space for either one. Also, 90% of my machine work is small/light enough for the combo unit to do. Not a terribly accurate machine but I do have it dialed in pretty well and it will hold tolerances within 1-2 thousandths.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe
Thanks all for your comments. They are helpful.
I believe the bore was 1.008", and 20" between centers on the lathe.

/ Smithy 3in1 Mill/Drill/Lathe #10  
I have (or rather had, my nephew is "holding" it for me until I have a place for it here) that same model, but mine is a little older. It used to be the top of the line from Smitty. Now they have the larger Granite series and the Midas is the econo line (as the name implies.) They are foreign made, but a small step up in quality from some of the others out there. I was able to hold fairly good tolerances (I'm no machinist, but I can fake it!) I didn't need the mill very often, and have a larger drill press so didn't use that much either. The trick with any multipurpose tool is to try to plan ahead and do all your lathe work at once, then all your milling, etc. Not always possible but you can minimize the setup time with a little planning.

Wish I had it here now, I have projects to make for the tractor that would be a lot simpler with that machine.