Front end loader for...

/ Front end loader for... #1  

ferrari99

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Ferrari 340
I have a two wheel tractor, a ride on mower and an ATV. I would like a front end loader for one of these machines. Does any one have any ideas of which machine to use and how to do it ?

/ Front end loader for... #2  
What kind of mower and what kind of ATV do you have? The 2 wheel tractor isn't a candidate for this. Lots of internet forum projects on mower FEL's so ideas, where to get aftermarket heavy front spindles etc. can be found online. ATV loaders are available from Swisher and some other companies and online searches will show some homemade FEL's for ideas too.

I realize you are wanting to use what you already have but a small 4 wheel drive tractor or older, heavy 2wheel drive like a Ford 2/8/9N or Ferguson TO20/30 would make a MUCH better candidate for a FEL. Patient, committed searching can produce tractors like these for $1500+/- here in the U.S. Sell the Ferrari 340 and use that money on a "4" wheel tractor and implements.

/ Front end loader for... #3  
   / Front end loader for... #4  
Tractor Supply sells a front bucket lift to fit any 4 wheel atv. It is raised and lowered with a front mounted winch, and dumped with a manual lever. For small jobs around the yard or camp it beats the €€€€ out of a shovel and wheel barrow.

/ Front end loader for...
The mower is a Deutscher (Australian made) rear engine 15.5hp, the ATV is a Kawasaki 300 with differential. One of the main reasons for a front end loader is to turn compost so a trailer can't do that. And I have a trailer for the two wheeled tractor. And a little bucket on the front of an ATV can't either. What about building some thing like this: atv front end loader
Thanks

I bought a hand winch to use for the lift of the loader arms (sounds a bit lame but surely it is still better than a shovel). I am probably going to put it in the ride on mower. I was thinking of having a disc brake on the pivot at the ends of the arms to control that part. Any ides and suggestions are welcome.

/ Front end loader for... #7  
I bought a hand winch to use for the lift of the loader arms (sounds a bit lame but surely it is still better than a shovel). I am probably going to put it in the ride on mower. I was thinking of having a disc brake on the pivot at the ends of the arms to control that part. Any ides and suggestions are welcome.
The ATV loader would handle the most weight.

I don't think the ride on mower front axle and spindles will be strong enough for a loader. Garden tractors with loaders usually have at least a 1" diameter spindle.

A spring applied disk brake might work better than the trip latch that the early farm tractors used.

Click the link in my signature for more ideas.

An old commercial mower with no deck.
P9150980.JPG P9150982.JPG

Added a loader 8 years ago, still using it now.
P9060019.JPG P9060028.JPG

The loader is not going to be carrying a lot of weight. Here is a photo of the front configuration.P1460473.jpg I worked out that I would have to put 250kg (550lb) of weight on the front bucket before it would take the rear wheels off the ground. I think i will leave the dis brake idea for now. I was thinking if the winch goes through a pulley on the arms and then to the curl, then so when the winch is loose the bucket will sit flat on the ground and when you lift the winch it will curl the bucket (to an adjustable angle) and then lift and when you want to dump there will be a support arm that goes from the arm down to the frame to hold the arms while you release the winch to dump. I don't know if this make sense but it is just what I am thinking at the moment, if you don't think this arrangement will work please let me know.

/ Front end loader for... #9  
-------------------- I was thinking if the winch goes through a pulley on the arms and then to the curl, then so when the winch is loose the bucket will sit flat on the ground and when you lift the winch it will curl the bucket (to an adjustable angle) and then lift and when you want to dump there will be a support arm that goes from the arm down to the frame to hold the arms while you release the winch to dump. I don't know if this make sense but it is just what I am thinking at the moment, if you don't think this arrangement will work please let me know.
I understand your idea. Getting the geometry right may not be easy.

With the bucket floating flat on the ground, moving forward to fill it, if snags on something, I think it will raise the arms and dump.

If that is too much of a problem, you could change it to a trip latch, or the disc brake.

Still it will be better than a shovel! :thumbsup: :D

I was thinking for the support leg that holds the arms up when dumping, if I had a rod attached to the arm that slides up and down in a tube, with two sets of one way jaws one set to hold it down when filling and another set to hold it up when dumping and have them attached to a foot pedal so when one is on the other is off and the opposite, this might not be clear but I hope you get the picture.