Adding a foot stand to an angle blade.

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I decided to add a foot stand to my angle blade, IMG_20131018_154553_743.jpg So I decided to make every thing from scratch. I used 1 inch Square tubing, for the leg, and the rest was scrap sheet steel, 12 or 13 gauge I think. And I used the small chain I had made here a few days ago for a pin holder. I made the pin out of a 5/16 bolt, but added some nice grooves in it to retain the chain at the head and in the middle to be retained by the foot itself using gravity to an advantage. This shows filing of the spinning bolt to create a groove near the head to be used as the chain retainer groove. The link will snap into this groove and be retained by its sharp shoulder. The other grooves I made with an angle grinder on the spinning bolt.IMG_20131023_142348_253.jpgIMG_20131023_143727_202.jpgIMG_20131023_144023_140.jpg

I started on the foot by drilling 4 holes in my measured 1 inch square stock at the end, and cutting them in half with the bandsaw. This will allow for water drainage out the of the foot. And a cap welded on topIMG_20131018_135558_715.jpgIMG_20131018_155354_985.jpgIMG_20131018_155413_220.jpgIMG_20131018_163204_084.jpgIMG_20131018_172028_778.jpg
Then comes measuring and cutting the 3 pieces of sheetmetal to be assembled for the foot to slide up and down in on the face of the implements frame.IMG_20131023_111857_126.jpgIMG_20131023_112152_607.jpg Then fit up for weldingIMG_20131023_112706_073.jpgIMG_20131023_123802_248.jpgIMG_20131023_123752_330.jpg
Then Attach the chain and pinIMG_20131023_145811_920.jpg I then welded this onto the frame of the implement.IMG_20131023_153436_715.jpg Then 2 holes were drilled into the foot to be used for when it is fully extended down and fully up. And there you go. I will set it on its foot as soon as the paint dries. IMG_20131023_163517_990.jpg What do you guys think?

James K0UA

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #2  
Looks great.
I have a rake that needs legs!

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #3  
James, looks good - my 6' tiller came with one, just made two for my older Gannon box blade but I got lazy - I tend to use nesting square tube for stuff like that. I used1-1/4 square tube for the leg, 1-1/2 for the "socket", drilled a few extra holes so I can tilt the blade forward/back to get close to the angle of the hitch (only one of my tractors has a hydraulic toplink so far, other is old school) - I welded the "sockets" to the front cross-beam on the Gannon - it's about 5" on the front, flat side - the beam itself is "D" shaped. Sucker is definitely too heavy to man-handle, even if I were 30 years younger.

I've done similar tricks using drill press and files, side grinders, etc - haven't found a lathe or mill I wanna pay for yet :(

I've found that the CGW thin cutoff wheels (start off 5" dia.) in a side grinder AFTER they've worn down to about 3", you can "re-square" the cutting edge by running it against a bench grinder wheel) works pretty good with less "wander" than a new, larger diameter one (when you're trying to get a square bottomed snap ring groove)

I really like your "weep holes", may steal that one next time.

For pins, I tend to keep a few of these around

Amazon.com: Speeco 3 Point Pto Locking Pin 1/4IN Round #P7938ZBU: Home Improvement

My local farm supply stocks 'em in sizes as small as 3/16" dia. (Did I mention I sometimes get lazy? :D )

Still haven't fired up the tig rig, but did "relocate" about 20 more yards of dirt where the shop expansion's going, probably about 50-70 more yards to go counting re-sloping of the driveway- good thing I'm not gonna build it til next year :) It's gonna be nice having an extra 32' x 60' to "play" in during our typical 8 months of wet/windy weather... Steve

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #4  
I also had blade stand similar to yours. The problem was that I was forgetting to lift it and broke it several times. Therefore I modified it such a way that it swings backwards instead of breaking. When the blade is on the tractor (and I don't forget to lift it) I lift it to horizontal position where it is held by a latch.

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade.
James, looks good - my 6' tiller came with one, just made two for my older Gannon box blade but I got lazy - I tend to use nesting square tube for stuff like that. I used1-1/4 square tube for the leg, 1-1/2 for the "socket", drilled a few extra holes so I can tilt the blade forward/back to get close to the angle of the hitch (only one of my tractors has a hydraulic toplink so far, other is old school) - I welded the "sockets" to the front cross-beam on the Gannon - it's about 5" on the front, flat side - the beam itself is "D" shaped. Sucker is definitely too heavy to man-handle, even if I were 30 years younger.

I've done similar tricks using drill press and files, side grinders, etc - haven't found a lathe or mill I wanna pay for yet :(

I've found that the CGW thin cutoff wheels (start off 5" dia.) in a side grinder AFTER they've worn down to about 3", you can "re-square" the cutting edge by running it against a bench grinder wheel) works pretty good with less "wander" than a new, larger diameter one (when you're trying to get a square bottomed snap ring groove)

I really like your "weep holes", may steal that one next time.

For pins, I tend to keep a few of these around

Amazon.com: Speeco 3 Point Pto Locking Pin 1/4IN Round #P7938ZBU: Home Improvement

My local farm supply stocks 'em in sizes as small as 3/16" dia. (Did I mention I sometimes get lazy? :D )

Still haven't fired up the tig rig, but did "relocate" about 20 more yards of dirt where the shop expansion's going, probably about 50-70 more yards to go counting re-sloping of the driveway- good thing I'm not gonna build it til next year :) It's gonna be nice having an extra 32' x 60' to "play" in during our typical 8 months of wet/windy weather... Steve

Hi Steve, feel free to "steal" anything you want. I thought about using one of those pins, but I just kinda wanted to see if my idea would work, and it does. I am sure you will really enjoy your new shop.

James K0UA

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #6  
I made something similar. I used pipe. I welded a ring at the top to capture the pipe. I made mine bolt on. I should drill a drain hole in the foot. Good idea.

Attachments

• hooksStandJD6415 003.JPG
    hooksStandJD6415 003.JPG
    790.8 KB · Views: 253
  • hooksStandJD6415 002.JPG
    hooksStandJD6415 002.JPG
    806.7 KB · Views: 305
I made something similar. I used pipe. I welded a ring at the top to capture the pipe. I made mine bolt on. I should drill a drain hole in the foot. Good idea.

That looks good, I figured that water would get in from the holes drilled in the side and collect at the bottom, and possibly freeze and burst the pipe.

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #8  
I need more excuses to use my welder, that looks like a fun project. Too bad my blade already has one. But since you asked, I do have several thoughts:

Is the base wide enough? When it rains and the ground softens, will it sink? Depends on where you park it I guess.

The paint job looks good but I'm afraid now you're going to have to paint the whole blade so it matches. :)

I need more excuses to use my welder, that looks like a fun project. Too bad my blade already has one. But since you asked, I do have several thoughts:

Is the base wide enough? When it rains and the ground softens, will it sink? Depends on where you park it I guess.

The paint job looks good but I'm afraid now you're going to have to paint the whole blade so it matches. :)

It is always parked on gravel, of course if it sinks, I will just add a bigger chunk to the foot:). Yep painting of the whole thing is in the works:D I just slopped some paint on the foot for rust protection. I am thinking of painting it orange. I haven't decided yet!

/ Adding a foot stand to an angle blade. #10  
Looks good, the funny part is I just finished building one for my rear blade a few weeks ago, never thought to take any pics. I'll try to get some this weekend. I did think of the drain holes at the foot, however..

One extra hole got drilled in the vertical stand leg, about 1.5 inches above the one where the lock pin goes when the steel foot is on the ground and the frame is level. That's so when the ground gets soft I can lay a piece of 2x? material under the foot to keep it from sinking. Most of the year I won't need it, but in late fall and early spring it would sink otherwise.

Sean