Home built cab

/ Home built cab #1  

mwb

Platinum Member
Tractor
3940HST Montana
I have been wanting a cab for my tractor since before I bought it. I didn't want to spend extra bucks to get one at the time - I would have to move up to a bigger machine so the cost would have been significant. I referenced many builds on this site for ideas and in particular a build by "life on highway 9" (google search will find it for you).

The major design criteria were:
- will use safety glass (not lexan or plexi)
- square tube for rigidity
- four point mounting that allows easy removal and minimal changes to the tractor
- I plan to add heat but I don't care if the cab is not 100% sealed. Some joints may be left open or use rubber matting to cover
- for simplicity the cab will be square side to side, vertical rear window; the windshield will be reclined 10 degrees

Undecided at this point:
- Glass mounting, either adhesive surface mount (automotive) or will use a rubber moulding like highway9 did

Pictures:

Front cab mount uses two brackets bolted to the tractor using two bolts for the loader mount. These mounts allow the cab to be quickly unbolted and raised off vertically.
Front mount.jpg

The rear mounting points uses the ROPS structure. The ROPS itself is not modified, just a bracket that is sandwiched between the base and superstructure.
Rear mount.jpg

Frame tubing is 2 x 2 x 0.100 wall. Fender arches are 1 x 2 rectangular. I am fortunate to have a buddy who has the equipment to roll these :thumbsup:
Lft corner.jpgRight corner.jpg

Removal for welding; tack welds held it together enough to remove!
IMG_00002383.jpg IMG_00002393.jpg

I estimate the current weight to be around 120 pounds. It is extremely rigid

/ Home built cab #3  
Yay!:applause: I love build threads! You're off to a great start. Keep the updates coming.

Joe

/ Home built cab #4  
Good start if I didn't have a cab I would place my order for one of yours. Keep posting.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Home built cab #5  
Very nice! Last year about this time I began a cab and very likely sought ideas in the same places you did.

A phrase I'll always remember from Highway9's writeup was "The angle iron had too much flex and my haste resulted in a cab which not only was an embarrassment to myself but my entire family both living and dead."

Keep us posted on your progress. I love to see projects.

/ Home built cab #6  
How did you make the nice bend over the fenders with the 1x2 or 3/4 x 2 tubing ? Looks like a perfect arc.

/ Home built cab
My buddy owns a fab shop and steel warehouse. He has ten foot rolls plus a bunch of other heavy duty toys. The fender arcs are 1 x 2. I have the matching ones for the doors already (1" bigger radius).

/ Home built cab #8  
Pays to have friends with nice tools. What ever kind of tube bender he has it sure does quality even arcs. Your making the rest of us look bad.

/ Home built cab #9  
Very heavy duty. I think most I have seen have been smsller size tube.

/ Home built cab #10  
Nice work, I like the arches and the windshield lay back angle.

Dave