Windmill tower

/ Windmill tower #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
IMG_3752.jpg I bought a pile of old windmill parts with a pump, some fan blades, bent tower supports and spent a day sorting and checking what was usable. To my surprise the pump dates back to 1901 with its cast iron case survived the fall from a forty foot tower when taken down, or I should say crash. There were sufficient pieces to complete an eight foot fan so I temporarily set it up on a test stand to check for seal and bearing problems.
With a pile of bent tower remains I picked through the pieces straightening and welding pieces together to form a shorter twenty five foot tower. The base is 8'6" square made up of short 2x2x1/8" short pieces. In place of the wire that held most towers in place I used 1" strapping. The plan is to place the head on the tower in spring.

/ Windmill tower #2  
Are you going to use it on the pump in the background..??

/ Windmill tower #3  
Here is the windmill the wife and I put up 25 years ago.

Attachments

• 04-06-11 Bat House 1.JPG
    04-06-11 Bat House 1.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 309
   / Windmill tower #4  
Raising my 12' mill on a 60 foot tower, picture of taking down the 47 foot tower, and some of the finished project,

Attachments

• raising windmill 12.jpg
    raising windmill 12.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 2367-tower%20down.jpg
    2367-tower%20down.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 232
  • windmill.JPG
    windmill.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Jan08#09.jpg
    Jan08#09.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 151
   / Windmill tower #5  
the tower steps on your short tower are on upside down the little bent part is to help keep your foot from slipping off,

and normally there staggered opposite not across from each other,

/ Windmill tower
the tower steps on your short tower are on upside down the little bent part is to help keep your foot from slipping off,

and normally there staggered opposite not across from each other,

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering when I placed them if a guy had bigger boots on how they would fit into the enclosures. Will rectify when the pump is added.... amateurs,.... grrrrrrrr

It will just be for decoration, not for pumping unless I bury a plastic drum with a drain back for the complete transfer between two sources. That would be easy to do while I am digging supports in as well.

/ Windmill tower
Here is the windmill the wife and I put up 25 years ago.

Neat ..... That is what I had in mind. The twenty five footer will be by the house. I have a forty foot tower and an extra Aermotor head that will be in the pond area. Always thought they were beautiful. We never had one on the home farm.

/ Windmill tower #8  
Mine did start out as a 50 footer, but, the last 25 feet were ok for us.LOL
Are the 3 leg towers very common?
I never did put the platform on.

/ Windmill tower
A twelve foot fan is something I have only dreamed of. Beautiful but at sixty feet in the air it will look like an eight foot. As you can tell I don't have a lot of knowledge on mills but trial and error things will work out. I love the A frame you use to take down and put up the tower system. I got a crane estimate of four hundred ( two hours job site plus travel time ) so I may build an A frame. I have some scrap left over and it would simplify the task. Besides having to depend on someone else's schedule sometimes does not work out. Awesome pictures by the way.

/ Windmill tower
Mine did start out as a 50 footer, but, the last 25 feet were ok for us.LOL
Are the 3 leg towers very common?
I never did put the platform on.

In my area many six foot fans had three post towers for shallow wells. I made a four leg tower because I just like the looks of it. It will also be easier to level on four steel ground supports. I mostly work alone so I scratch my head first and decide details later. More exciting that way. One thing about metal projects. After your done one can see the short cuts and view lessons learned.

* Gold winger here.... Riding in trouble free silence. Someday I will try a Harley.