Looking for opinions-new steel roof

/ Looking for opinions-new steel roof #1  

brown40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Hey All,

I've been building a 30x40x12 pole barn this year, and yesterday the roofers came& went. I will post a recap of the whole project when done, and thanks to all the folks here who inspired the project!

I insulated over the rafters & purlins with a foil faced product with the crew at my heels all day (they offered to do it for $1250-no thanks it was 8 hours work & a pack of staples).

As such I didn't get to check on their work until they had the last panel in place (standing seam 24g. steel). The crew did well on the north overhang (covered the trim)...

On the south overhang the foreman/owner installed the leading edge over the trim (pushed it up too far onto the bottom purlin) leaving the bottom edge resting on the top of the trim.

His first response was that that was my fault by not having the trim extending up high enough and/or not having the same spacing throughout--except everything was spaced and clamped by ME prior to nailing, so I KNOW it was as uniform as wood can be, PLUS, the crew working on the other side did fine with installation on their side, as he did, on the first corner, then the last ten feet when I am of the impression he noticed the mistake but did not mention it to me...

I caught it as I was taping where they went through the insulation (expected-I did a couple times too, but just a stapler, not a foot, but I was not roofing)

The quote was $6990 for the roof, and I paid 2/3 in good faith, as I was not sure I could fix it, PLUS that was the "end" of roof--doors were/are next and snow's here.

To "fix" it, I have to remove 1/4" pre-painted plywood from under the edge (all destroyed only one $40/sheet & the weekend of cutting & priming so it'd be 100% sealed, pry up the brand new leading edge and pound a new, wider, unpainted strip up behind, remove the bars, lever out the edge with the plywood and put enough nails in it so it'll lay flush on the face, and catch that edge/prevent it from going back over the 2x6 backer.

It can be done, but now instead of squared & trimmed doors ready to order roll-ups to fit, this weekend is lost to retrimming 1/4 of the building.

So far, I'm out 2 sheets of plywood, 2 hours of time working only weekends, and have another 5 to get a prime coat on everything once I get another 8 feet cut & tucked under.

It can be fixed--everything is tight down, and rather than fall straight, now the leading edge is kicked out 1/4", but it will shed water now. Other than that, it's a wonderful installation... looks great, square, went slick...

I didn't have it the way he "expected" (despite drawing it for him and explaining why a 3/4 gap was left between the PT fascia and the #2 2x6 purlin at the roof edge two days previous), but I showed him, he said it'd be "no problem", then he rushed, went too high up, and now I'm left retrimming.

What do YOU think is fair in this situation? They quoted me $1200 to do the trim in painted aluminum when I first contacted them, but I did it, as I have 98% of everything except the slab by myself. I have more in materials and labor than aluminum would've been, but the real kicker is not having the doors ready for next weekend.

I appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

/ Looking for opinions-new steel roof #2  
Since you went in and "fixed" their screw up you now get to eat the warranty (if there was one), probably. I would have withheld their final payment till it was fixed to match the rest of their work. Then I would of gone ahead with the doors and let them fix any impact along with their re-work. I assume you have a written contract spelling out who does what. If not you are at their mercy there. That is the hard line approach, the real solution may be mitigated through gentlemanly discussion. Lots of luck with the solution.

Ron

/ Looking for opinions-new steel roof #3  
Unfortunately, I think this is the problem trying to combine more than one "contractor"...

/ Looking for opinions-new steel roof #4  
Seems like almost nobody does good work anymore.....

/ Looking for opinions-new steel roof #5  
They screwed up, tried to blame it on you- not a good sign, then you have paid 2/3 of total. See if they want to be paid the balance and what they will do to get it. If it turns to argument and you can't get them to finish it properly, then tell them you will finish it yourself and keep the balance. See what they say and set a deadline to be completed.

/ Looking for opinions-new steel roof #6  
They screwed up, tried to blame it on you- not a good sign, then you have paid 2/3 of total. See if they want to be paid the balance and what they will do to get it. If it turns to argument and you can't get them to finish it properly, then tell them you will finish it yourself and keep the balance. See what they say and set a deadline to be completed.
I agree this sounds like the best approach to get this resolved.Good luck,"stick to your guns"