Moving dead cars

/ Moving dead cars #1  

RichNJKubota

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310HST
I need a way to lift the rear end of a dead car and pull it around with the tractor(Kubota L4310). I am thinking of something like a 3pt pallet lift with hooks welded on for chains that would wrap around the rear axle on both sides. Any ideas?
Right now I pull the cars with a chain but then I need someone to steer the car.
Thanks,
Rich

/ Moving dead cars #2  
When you say "dead", do you mean you don't care if you dent it or not? Or do you mean just not running and you wish to preserve the body and bumper?
Mark

/ Moving dead cars
Most of the time I need to move cars that need repair and are not running. Therefore I don't want to do any damage. I do however need to move parts cars and some damage to the underside, etc. is OK.
I'd REALLY like to be able to lift cars using a huge forklift machine like the junk yards. But that would be just for fun:)

Rich

/ Moving dead cars #4  
Keep in mind that the farther you are away from the back of the tractor, the less you can lift... ( lever principle.. )

Soundguy

/ Moving dead cars #5  
I guess I'd be of no help then...

Year or so ago, some moron torched his car (intentinoally) in the woods and it was a "dead" car /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TVA 'hired' me to evacuate it.

I took my trusty grade 100 alloy chain with a slip hook, wrapped ALL the way around the hood/fenders/underside of car and put other end onto the backhoe bucket of Brutus.

I then commenced to pick up the entire front end of the car, letting the rear wheels drag (and at times, over small inclines had the ENTIRE car in the air)

I putted out the 1/4 mile of the woods down the dirt road and was done.

And yes, the car WAS worse for the wear

Oh, and I'd had the foresite to think that a loader bucket full of 1 3/4 yards of dirt might be advantageous... it was

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving dead cars #6  
I just this week moved out a dead car which aws burnt, picked up rear with ease using chain and had chain over the bucket, and Drove the car out with rear end up and fornt wheels going straight. didn't have to move it far and being burnt wasn't much left to worry about weight.

My old tempo was out teaching teen age daughters driving lessons in back feild, grass was a bit too dry and high, set it on fire under car after we parked for a min or two, then grass caught tank & lines on fire rest was history in less than 15 min wasn't much left. anyhow rolled OK with just rims left. used FEL on a JINMA 284 to lift car, probably could have lifted hole car but didn't try.

Only thinng I could think of would be a 3 pt pallit type lift which has a grab spots rolled so they fit over/arounf car wheels like a wrecker. then lift rear snd, but you would need a good sized tractor most rear ends are lighter but still up to a ton easy.

http://www.bright.net/~ispike/carfire

Mark /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Moving dead cars #7  
Break out the round bale spike /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moving dead cars #8  
Why don't you fabricate a wheel lift(like the ones used on tow trucks) attachment for the 3-point hitch. These are very simple to fabricate, just make sure you use heavy enough gauge stock. As said before the leverage of something that far back will severely reduce your lifting capacity. Get the steel stock from a scrap yard to reduce you cost. It might be worth a try.

/ Moving dead cars #9  
I have moved my old F250 short distances before with just a chain.
Get a heavy duty chain and wrap it around your bucket and then hook it up under the frame. You can then lower the bucket and use it as a bumper while you pull the truck backward. It will scrap up the bumper a bit and you need to go very slow. Minimal slack will reduce the damage to the car.

Maybe in your case pickup the rear a little bit.

In my case the rear bumper is already banged up so a few more scratches was no big deal. I did not try to pickup the rear end since this truck is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8K lbs.

Fred

/ Moving dead cars #10  
Was the truck bed loaded Phred? Most F250 aren't placarded for much over 8K lbs GROSS. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif