Michigan 675 wheel loader project

/ Michigan 675 wheel loader project #1  

Waldon52

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere
These photos show me on a Michigan 675 Wheel loader down by Grand Rapids , Mi. We drove down and spent 4 hours with the owner . He told us there are only three 675 loaders left in the world and only two of them still run. He also told us he bought and sold this machine three different times. We took plenty of pictures and I came home and built the model. That was a fun day with Russ. aaamich1.jpgaaamich2.jpgaaamich3.jpgaaamich4.jpgaaamich5.jpgaaamich6.jpgaaamich8.jpgaaamich9.jpg

/ Michigan 675 wheel loader project #3  
WOW!!!

Whatever became of Michigan construction equipment?

/ Michigan 675 wheel loader project #5  
Looks like those front tires where too soft or not enough rear ballast.

Walon thx for sharing. Did you get to operate the Michigan?

Great replica,

/ Michigan 675 wheel loader project #6  
   / Michigan 675 wheel loader project #7  
Thanks for the link, herringchoker.

That is a sad read - how insufficient investment & unfair competition wrecked a great American company. Way too common of a story now.

/ Michigan 675 wheel loader project #8  
The tires were the biggest problem on the 675 because it was so heavy. I used to have a brochure on the Michigan C series loaders. What's interesting is that it listed the 675C model as the offering the biggest bite on wheels with buckets up to 36 cubic yards(for coal loading) but 24 yd was standard. 16 675's are listed as being built but that's a deceiving number. 2 675B's were bought back by Clark and rebuilt and sold as the C models. The prototype used 2 GM engines but had a lot of problems so they switched to 2 Cummins engines. I knew a guy that bought a 175B new and he said you couldn't hurt it! He also had a 75B and it wasn't as strong but he probably tried to do the same work with it as the 175. Michigan's are known as one of the best loaders ever made. Those old videos are fantastic!

As far as the welding, almost all of it designed for fillet welds so it doesn't need as much prep. I would also bet a lot of the steel is thicker to not only give rigidity but also give a good safety/abuse factor without needing to use 3" fillet welds. I would think there was some preheating required and the video showed them using a hand held sub-arc gun with the flux pouring over the weld. The safety police would have had a field day there, welding without gloves, no safety glasses, etc. I'd like to see how they build/form the huge buckets.

Last edited:
   / Michigan 675 wheel loader project #9  
The tires were the biggest problem on the 675 because it was so heavy. I used to have a brochure on the Michigan C series loaders. What's interesting is that it listed the 675C model as the offering the biggest bite on wheels with buckets up to 36 cubic yards(for coal loading) but 24 yd was standard. 16 675's are listed as being built but that's a deceiving number. 2 675B's were bought back by Clark and rebuilt and sold as the C models. The prototype used 2 GM engines but had a lot of problems so they switched to 2 Cummins engines. I knew a guy that bought a 175B new and he said you couldn't hurt it! He also had a 75B and it wasn't as strong but he probably tried to do the same work with it as the 175. Michigan's are known as one of the best loaders ever made. Those old videos are fantastic! As far as the welding, almost all of it designed for fillet welds so it doesn't need as much prep. I would also bet a lot of the steel is thicker to not only give rigidity but also give a good safety/abuse factor without needing to use 3" fillet welds. I would think there was some preheating required and the video showed them using a hand held sub-arc gun with the flux pouring over the weld. The safety police would have had a field day there, welding without gloves, no safety glasses, etc. I'd like to see how they build/form the huge buckets.

Thank you for the explanation and reasoning behind the build design.