Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere

Default Michigan 675 wheel loader project

These photos show me on a Michigan 675 Wheel loader down by Grand Rapids , Mi. We drove down and spent 4 hours with the owner . He told us there are only three 675 loaders left in the world and only two of them still run. He also told us he bought and sold this machine three different times. We took plenty of pictures and I came home and built the model. That was a fun day with Russ. -aaamich1-jpg-aaamich2-jpg-aaamich3-jpg-aaamich4-jpg-aaamich5-jpg-aaamich6-jpg-aaamich8-jpg-aaamich9-jpg

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

Default Re: Michigan 675 wheel loader project

WOW!!!

Whatever became of Michigan construction equipment?
    DeereMann
    John Deere 1026R
    John Deere 445 (sold)
    John Deere 318 (sold)
    John Deere STX38 (sold)

Stihl 018, 026, MS460

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, Case 450

The wheel loaders got bought out by Volvo, most everything else was dropped by that time.

Clark Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Waldon52, your craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me.
    Kubota B7800, LA402 FEL, Homemade cab, 60" bushcutter, 74" rear snowblower.
    Kubota RTV500.
    Case 450 c/w 6-way dozer.

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Looks like those front tires where too soft or not enough rear ballast.

Walon thx for sharing. Did you get to operate the Michigan?

Great replica,
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Watching those old videos is great; a time where people not machines made things and humans knew how to troubleshoot!

Watching the welding procedures I was surprised there was no joint prep (bevelling) as they just butted up and burned away.

Maybe Shield Arc/Welder Mike/arc Weld can enlighten use as these where 3" plates.
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

Thanks for the link, herringchoker.

That is a sad read - how insufficient investment & unfair competition wrecked a great American company. Way too common of a story now.
    DeereMann
    John Deere 1026R
    John Deere 445 (sold)
    John Deere 318 (sold)
    John Deere STX38 (sold)

Stihl 018, 026, MS460

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

The tires were the biggest problem on the 675 because it was so heavy. I used to have a brochure on the Michigan C series loaders. What's interesting is that it listed the 675C model as the offering the biggest bite on wheels with buckets up to 36 cubic yards(for coal loading) but 24 yd was standard. 16 675's are listed as being built but that's a deceiving number. 2 675B's were bought back by Clark and rebuilt and sold as the C models. The prototype used 2 GM engines but had a lot of problems so they switched to 2 Cummins engines. I knew a guy that bought a 175B new and he said you couldn't hurt it! He also had a 75B and it wasn't as strong but he probably tried to do the same work with it as the 175. Michigan's are known as one of the best loaders ever made. Those old videos are fantastic!

As far as the welding, almost all of it designed for fillet welds so it doesn't need as much prep. I would also bet a lot of the steel is thicker to not only give rigidity but also give a good safety/abuse factor without needing to use 3" fillet welds. I would think there was some preheating required and the video showed them using a hand held sub-arc gun with the flux pouring over the weld. The safety police would have had a field day there, welding without gloves, no safety glasses, etc. I'd like to see how they build/form the huge buckets.
    Last edited by Arc weld; 12-24-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by Arc weld View Post
    The tires were the biggest problem on the 675 because it was so heavy. I used to have a brochure on the Michigan C series loaders. What's interesting is that it listed the 675C model as the offering the biggest bite on wheels with buckets up to 36 cubic yards(for coal loading) but 24 yd was standard. 16 675's are listed as being built but that's a deceiving number. 2 675B's were bought back by Clark and rebuilt and sold as the C models. The prototype used 2 GM engines but had a lot of problems so they switched to 2 Cummins engines. I knew a guy that bought a 175B new and he said you couldn't hurt it! He also had a 75B and it wasn't as strong but he probably tried to do the same work with it as the 175. Michigan's are known as one of the best loaders ever made. Those old videos are fantastic! As far as the welding, almost all of it designed for fillet welds so it doesn't need as much prep. I would also bet a lot of the steel is thicker to not only give rigidity but also give a good safety/abuse factor without needing to use 3" fillet welds. I would think there was some preheating required and the video showed them using a hand held sub-arc gun with the flux pouring over the weld. The safety police would have had a field day there, welding without gloves, no safety glasses, etc. I'd like to see how they build/form the huge buckets.
    Thank you for the explanation and reasoning behind the build design.
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Quote Originally Posted by Arc weld View Post
    The tires were the biggest problem on the 675 because it was so heavy.
    These were dumptruck tires, normally used in duals, because nothing else was available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast