Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #1  

swick1

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
We bought a 3 ton arbor press at my company and it arrived with the front half broken off. The company sent us a new one and UPS never came to pick up the old press so I spent $19 in parts and 2 hours of labor to have a new press in my garage!

The bolts are 1/2" grade 5 with the shoulders ending just before they penetrate all 3 parts. The mild steel plates are 1.5" x 0.25" x 8" scraps. The holes were drilled through the mild steel plates then they were clamped onto the press and the holes were drilled to a very close fit. They were tightened to about 30 ft lbs and should take about 10000 lbs of force each to break. Assuming the force is divided into 4 bolts (worst case) then the factor of safety is around 6.8.

20131222_181258.jpg

20131222_181249.jpg

20131222_180503.jpg

20131222_180446.jpg

Last edited:
   / Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #2  
Good Work!!!

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #3  
Very nice, and I'm sure that press cost a bit. When I first started repairing/rebuilding mechanics' air tools, and of course didn't know much about it, I bought a one-ton arbor press from Northern Tool. In no time at all, I realized I'd made a mistake, so I gave it to my brother and I bought a 3-ton model.

You can see both at arbor press from Northern Tool + Equipment

I had bought some things from Northern Tool and had them shipped to me in Navarro County, but in 1998 that 3-ton press cost about a hundred dollars and shipping would have cost another hundred, so I went to Mesquite and bought it in their store for $108.24, including sales tax. As you can see the price has gone up a bit since July, 1998.

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #4  
Good score. And nice fix!

Terry

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard
You guys may like this too:

It's a force gauge made for the press, but really could work for anything. The gauges are screwed into a small harbor freight cylinder with 1.5" bore. To build these you need a gauge with a 1/4" npt fitting on the end. Unscrew the hydraulic coupler on the cylinder, drain any oil, and use a drywall screw or bent nail to wiggle the cylinder out (this takes a lot of force, so consider using vice grips to hold the tool). Place the cylinder in a vice so the port is facing up, then fill it with air tool oil or jack oil and screw in the gauge lightly. Tighten up the vice a little to get most of the air out and tighten the gauge fully. I made a chart to convert the gauge pressure to force and hung it on the wall next to the press.

In case anyone is interested, the formula for gauge pressure to force is: pressure*pi*radius^2, which with these 1.5" cylinders would be pressure*1.7671

20131223_114834.jpg

20131223_114827.jpg

Last edited:
   / Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #6  
You guys may like this too:

It's a force gauge made for the press, but really could work for anything. The gauges are screwed into a small harbor freight cylinder with 1.5" bore. To build these you need a gauge with a 1/4" npt fitting on the end. Unscrew the hydraulic coupler on the cylinder, drain any oil, and use a drywall screw or bent nail to wiggle the cylinder out (this takes a lot of force, so consider using vice grips to hold the tool). Place the cylinder in a vice so the port is facing up, then fill it with air tool oil or jack oil and screw in the gauge lightly. Tighten up the vice a little to get most of the air out and tighten the gauge fully. I made a chart to convert the gauge pressure to force and hung it on the wall next to the press.

In case anyone is interested, the formula for gauge pressure to force is: pressure*pi*radius^2, which with these 1.5" cylinders would be pressure*1.7671

View attachment 351619

That's a slick idea!!!! My 50ton press has a gauge but it's not delicate. Gotta rig me up one of these!!! I'm usually in the "guess mode". ;)

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #7  
That's a slick idea!!!! My 50ton press has a gauge but it's not delicate. Gotta rig me up one of these!!! I'm usually in the "guess mode". ;)

I been wanting to put one on my 20 ton HF press (hand pump cylinder) and would half to tear the jack down to drill, clean and measure the jack cylinder dia. to convert press to force just as SWICK1 did...

this is the press
20 Ton Shop Press - Hydraulic Shop Presses on Sale

Would have to be able to get into the pressure side of the cylinder or down stream of the Jack Check/Press relief valve.

One issue I have with this press is the Cross Bunks/Base Support the work sets on is too narrow, it is hard to get some parts (Electrical Motor rotor this past weekend) would not fit to press OFF the bearings on a 7.5HP motor I was rebuilding... Ended up the motor rotor assembly was loose on the motor press on shaft anyhow so I turned it into scrap. (I actually penned the splines of the shaft & used a set punch to dimple it heavily, then used red lock-tight and the press to push it back on but only to make a small 3phase convertor.) Will be looking into that later as I dont have a NEED now but would make a nice phase convertor for a small mill/lathe or similar machine. It needs a front bearing but if I dont need the thing it will set lightly assembled till I have a need to decide to make a scrap run... So will wait to replace the bearings it was a Air Compressor Motor of a dual tank 160gallon job that was only installed for about 7 years. The company installed it NEW when we built some paint lines for them & was part of the operation 4 days a week with 2 people working on average 1 shift so thing probably only had few hundred hours of run time. Employees over greased it which pushed the sealed bearing & shaft up...

Mark

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #8  
I did something similar to that with a 1.5" cylinder to weigh things hanging them off the chain hoist. A bit different conversion cause I had to factor out the rod diameter with using it as extending, but wrorks pretty well. I have 3 gauges fitted for it that I can swap out, depending on how heavy and how accurate I want to measure. 0-100psi, 0-300psi, and a 0-5000psi.

Never thought about using one like that. I do have one of those little 1.5" cylinders for a porta power that was in a box full of junk I bought at an auction, never though of using it like that, and was debating what to do with it as I dont have a porta power. But I think you have given me the perfect idea.:thumbsup:

I think you are going to need a but bigger than a 1.5" cylinder to measure up to 50 tons:D

One issue I have with this press is the Cross Bunks/Base Support the work sets on is too narrow, it is hard to get some parts (Electrical Motor rotor this past weekend) would not fit to press OFF the bearings on a 7.5HP motor I was rebuilding... Ended up the motor rotor assembly was loose on the motor press on shaft anyhow so I turned it into scrap. (I actually penned the splines of the shaft & used a set punch to dimple it heavily, then used red lock-tight and the press to push it back on but only to make a small 3phase convertor.) Will be looking into that later as I dont have a NEED now but would make a nice phase convertor for a small mill/lathe or similar machine. It needs a front bearing but if I dont need the thing it will set lightly assembled till I have a need to decide to make a scrap run... So will wait to replace the bearings it was a Air Compressor Motor of a dual tank 160gallon job that was only installed for about 7 years. The company installed it NEW when we built some paint lines for them & was part of the operation 4 days a week with 2 people working on average 1 shift so thing probably only had few hundred hours of run time. Employees over greased it which pushed the sealed bearing & shaft up...

Mark

If you decide to keep that and make a phase convertor, I got some 3ph motors I have been looking to get rid of ranging from 1hp to 10hp. Got about 40 of 'em. So if you got any projects, I'd make you a heckuva deal. They are just taking up too much room in my shop, and nobody (big places) dont want to mess with the smaller motors. But I refuse to just give 'em away for scrap price.

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #9  

I think you are going to need a but bigger than a 1.5" cylinder to measure up to 50 tons:D

If you decide to keep that and make a phase convertor, I got some 3ph motors I have been looking to get rid of ranging from 1hp to 10hp. Got about 40 of 'em. So if you got any projects, I'd make you a heckuva deal. They are just taking up too much room in my shop, and nobody (big places) dont want to mess with the smaller motors. But I refuse to just give 'em away for scrap price.

The 10HP would be a better phase convertor, if ya got that many motors ya might go into business selling some as used phase convertors...

Yes not many people look to buy used 3 phase stuff... Been eyeballing a local Bridgeport mill that sat in heated shop all it's life but was hardly used (maintenance department mill bought new.) they had not used it in a long while as only guy who ever did retired in the mid 90's lol. Price has been right but still not working so have been just thinking and wishing i had steady paycheck.

I did take the GE job in Elec Maintenance. the are still running DOS Based PLCs (GE Fanuc) stuff from the 90's!!! Their NEW system runs on some old windows 98 programming as it is 16 bit :eek: Maybe I can remember some of the DOS commands lol. (maybe 10 years ago was last time I was in dos environment...)

Pay is what they said (in the PM we talked about it a while back) plus a buck/hr shift premium & 90day buck raise.) 401K price match to 8% and a yearly bonus into 401K 2 weeks vacation & full bennies on day1... Starting 7th so will see how it goes, is an hour drive each way so not sure how long I'll be there & they also pay education from day 1 5K/yr.

mark

/ Saved an arbor press from the scrap yard #10  
Sounds like a good gig. I hope it works out for you. I am really liking where I'm at now. Been here almost a month. Seems like a great group of guys.

I keep thinking about selling the motors on eBay. But packaging is a pita, and time consuming doing so and driving to a ups store (or freight terminal for the bigger ones). One at a time for 40 motors isn't what I want. I want to sell em local, or all at once I can load on a couple of pallets. But can't seem to get any interest above 30 cents a pound scrap. So for the time being, they are tying up about half of my heated garage floor space that I really miss...