New brush forks and they are great!

/ New brush forks and they are great! #1  

pbeamtn

Tractor
John Deere 316
After stalking this forum for some time and seeing what others have done, I decided to make a simple set of brush forks for my GC2410, and they are great! I have moved logs and brush much more easily than before. I wish I had done this last year.

I made the forks from 2"x 1/4" square tubing and 2" x 1/4" angle. The forks are 48" long and the width matches my bucket at 46". They are help onto the bucket by a lip in the front and ratchet straps on the back. Since they mount under the bucket, the ratchet straps are only under tension when the forks push down on something -- lifting pushes up on the back of the bucket. They are light enough that I can lift them onto the bucket or carefully "scoop" them up if on level ground. For my tractor, they are plenty strong, but a larger machine may need something heavier.

This is my first real welding project, and the welds are not pretty, but they are strong enough for my needs.

If you build a set yourself, be aware that it may make your tractor more "tippy." My backhoe seems to be a good balance even on the hills I have in East Tennessee. The ratchet straps can loosen -- I'm not sure why -- so they need to be checked occasionally. I also did not make vertical stops as part of the forks, so a large load can overflow the bucket and logs can potentially roll over the bucket and smash into the front of your tractor.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 366
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 289
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 376
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 222
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 245
   / New brush forks and they are great! #2  
Well done for your first welding project.

/ New brush forks and they are great! #3  
I have a 2 tine fork that slips on bucket edge. To secure to bucket at rear of tine is welded a 3 or4 link chain. The last link is cut and a bolt with head cut off is welded in place. On rear of bucket a flat plate with hole is welded in place. Forks is bolted to bucket nice and tight. No movement at any time. You might consider this type of attachment.

Mine are 2x3 or 2x4 1/4" x48" so they are very heavy. I have to drive the bucket into the forks to pick it up.

Any way good looking forks. Forks are so useful. Mine are almost always attached to bucket. I am making a brush fork now, 5 tines and shorter

/ New brush forks and they are great!
Well, my first welding project needed repair after I used (abused) them hard. I broke the welds on a couple of forks when I was trying to lift a tree that was too heavy and rolled onto the end of just one tine. Then, I broke my cheap straps when I pushed down too hard trying to get the tree off. The good thing about welding it yourself is that you can grind it off and do it again.

ETpilot, I thought about using chains and a bolt. I'm still too squeamish to weld something to my tractor. I may someday make a clip that attaches to the top front of the bucket with a bolt and chain, but until then I have moved to 2,000 lb straps, and for what I should be doing, they are incredibly convenient.

/ New brush forks and they are great! #5  
Very nice idea. You are working the bugs out too.

/ New brush forks and they are great!
I like them. Not my original idea. This past weekend we had some decent weather so I used to forks to move some lumber, my cyclone rake, and an outboard motor from a building I plan on tearing down. None of these are super heavy, but too big to fit in the bucket. I really enjoyed picking up the cyclone rake and moving it instead of taking the backhoe off and using the 3 point hitch to move it. Everyone should have one!