Laser jet services for the homeowner?

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #1  

420GLH

Tractor
1990 John Deere 420
I have a need for a few pieces cut out for a loader project, but I have yet to find a place that offers those services to the public. All the ones I've found are for defense contracters. Only Gov contracts, nothing for a walk-in.

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #2  
I have a need for a few pieces cut out for a loader project, but I have yet to find a place that offers those services to the public. All the ones I've found are for defense contracters. Only Gov contracts, nothing for a walk-in.
whst sized steel?

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #3  
CNC plasma cutters are reasonably common & cost under $10k depending on the size & precision of the machine. Plasma is a lot cheaper than laser and way more common. Plasma can do a great precision job up to an inch and a half easily.

Check your local machine or welding shops.

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #6  
PM me...

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #7  
There are a few shops around northern Lancaster County that would do small stuff. At work I get parts cut by one waterjet guy and three different laser outfits. Most of what I get involved in is oddball stuff in low quantities. Recently I had some 16GA stainless steel strips roughly 14" x 2" with a bunch of holes laser cut. The outfit provided the material and worked from a CAD file I e-mailed to them. The parts were around $11 each. It would have cost me more than that to have one of our guys mark the metal for fab and I'm sure the center to center measurements on the holes wouldn't have been anywhere near that accurate.

Anything not really critical goes to the waterjet. The lasers give more exact cuts that look almost finished.

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #8  
Speedy Metals in Milwaukee sells metal and they will plasma cut and ship. I've used them a couple of times with good results. I also have a couple of other local shops that do laser cutting. Just not sure if they ship.

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #9  
Ask at your local steel supplier. My friend worked at one of the larger ones here in BC and they custom cut a lot of different things for customers. I bought a bunch of steel for a project and they would sell to anyone as long as the minimum price was paid. I just bought a few extra lengths of flat bar to meet the minimum. I just call up and ask for sales and tell the salesperson what am doing and what I would like to buy. If they will not sell to me, they will advise me who to call. Always works for me.
Cam

/ Laser jet services for the homeowner? #10  
You certainly don't need a laser for your loader project. Any flame cutting or plasma table will do a perfectly nice job. Water jet is quite popular for precision cutting as well.