My LOGSPLITTER Build

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
Well, I got to actually test it out on some wood that actually needed split.

I had a pine top to cut up that was about 18" diameter at the big end. And a ~12" willow top.

Not really a test of strength for the splitter, but a good speed and functionality test. And I couldnt be happier with how things turned out. I really can say that there is anything I wished I did different.

I do like the thin wedge as is without adding angle iron or anything. Because alot of what I do split is pine and willow. And with the soft and sometimes half rotten wood, if you try to spread it too soon, it ends up not splitting all the way through and just busting a chunk out of the side. Especially on the pine where the piece had a small limb or two coming off of it in the middle. With the thin wedge, I didnt have any issues with that like I sometimes do with the other splitter.

Now I cant wait to cut some real wood and give it a workout.:thumbsup:

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #82  
Nice job and quick if you ask me. Even if i could have your skills it would take me 6 months at least.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #83  
now that is clever''''''

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #84  
I stood on a chair so I could get an overhead shot to better show the room to work. The pipes and framework for the "table" only stand out from the beam 8". So plenty of room. I stood there and "pretended" to be splitting wood before I located the valve and the table. The locations of them now were most ergonomic for me.

View attachment 366239

I don't mean to be too critical here but looks to me like those pieces round stock are just going to be in the way. You need to be able to reach the beam from either side and still reach the control lever. Just my opinion.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
I don't mean to be too critical here but looks to me like those pieces round stock are just going to be in the way. You need to be able to reach the beam from either side and still reach the control lever. Just my opinion.

I can split from both sides and reach the control lever perfectly. They are not in the way at all. I have split about 4 cord with it now and so far there is nothing that I would change.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #86  
Well you should know. Cool. Good job. I hope to getting around to building one almost just like it one day.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #87  
Very good build LD1, I take it the wood you split is for shop and o/s bon-fires. Pine and willow, hard wood for I/s. I have same cyl., but a horizontal shaft motor and pump that is on a splitter I got for $75. 4.5sec. out/3.5 in. Have to raise it up and add baskets, sits on axle with 8"tires. Way to low for this old fatboy, maybe 3pt hitch type. Anyways happy splitting...

Attachments

• tractor pic 003.jpg
    tractor pic 003.jpg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 288
   / My LOGSPLITTER Build #88  
LD1,

Did you ever hook a hydraulic drive to the Ford 8.8 rear? I am very interested...I have a Dana 44 from a jeep in the splitter that I am building. Have a driveshaft and a good used motor from the rotation out of a digger (truck that puts in utility poles). I am unsure of the speed. I want it to be slow!! Will use it to drive to the wood pile or to drive the splitter on to my flatbed trailer. I too have a 2 stage pump on my splitter. Any info would be truly appreciated.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
Never did anything. Just tow it around with the ball mount on the 3PH of the tractor

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #90  
Thanks for the reply...

I will share my experiences once I get it all done. Was going to work on it this weekend but not so sure, with the snow coming and the cold weather. I am hoping to have it all hooked up in the next month to month in a half if the weather cooperates. Needs to be soon though as the wife is not happy I am blocking the driveway up for over a year now :)

I attached a pic of the first splitter that I built about 18 years ago. Works great, but as someone in this thread mentioned, once you build one, you will want to build another, and perhaps another.

Attachments

• 20140829_191558.jpg
    20140829_191558.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 197