Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #1  

mrutkaus

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, Kubota BX-1500,
Anyone have a neat simple design, using 4x4s or 6x6s to build a stand for a 200 or 250 gal fuel tank about 5 or 6 ft high?

Mike

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall
Heaters oke that were used in my home when i was a kid and this morning when I got up!

I did find a place that makes steel tank stands, Turner Tanks.

Thanks,

Mike

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #4  
Check out your local laws. Everybody used to have tanks up on stands around here until a law was passed that they were environmentally a hazzard and the fuel companys refused to fill them under fear of being fined.

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #5  
I had several left over cut off 6x6 pieces from the pole barns.
P5310024.JPG P7090001.JPG

I use the pallet forks to put it in the truck and fill it with off road diesel.

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #6  
many old wood stands consisted of 4 longer than normal posts ( 8 to 10 feet) set and extended up above the cross brace the tank is setting on, cross brace was lower 6" or 8" inches to keep the tank from rolling off the sides, BOLT the cross bars on, and it would not hurt to cut and inset the cross brace in as well,
cross brace usually consisted of a 2x6 or 2x8.

I would suggest setting the posts 2 feet in the ground,
with the post in the ground cross bracing is not a necessity but would not hurt the build any,

some enclose the sides and make a small oil storage building under the tank,
the link has a small building and two tanks on it, http://www.nelsonsauction.com/2009-sales/2009-06-26/100_1184.jpg

similar to the picture but out of wood

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,007
   / Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #7  
I used a bunch of used rail road ties to build mine.just stacked in a 16' x 8' rectangular with cross ties in the center, it Holds three 500 gallon fuel tanks and a lower platform beside it for storing a jockey tank. i build it in 93.

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #8  
many old wood stands consisted of 4 longer than normal posts ( 8 to 10 feet) set and extended up above the cross brace the tank is setting on, cross brace was lower 6" or 8" inches to keep the tank from rolling off the sides, BOLT the cross bars on, and it would not hurt to cut and inset the cross brace in as well,
cross brace usually consisted of a 2x6 or 2x8.

I would suggest setting the posts 2 feet in the ground,
with the post in the ground cross bracing is not a necessity but would not hurt the build any,

some enclose the sides and make a small oil storage building under the tank,
the link has a small building and two tanks on it, http://www.nelsonsauction.com/2009-sales/2009-06-26/100_1184.jpg

similar to the picture but out of wood
The pic,.i would not trust that set up at all.

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #9  
At least here in Maine, the fuel companies will not fill a barrel or tank that is on a wooden stand.

/ Design for wooden fuel oil tank stand say 5' tall #10  
The problem with the fuel stands is that they gravity feed. This means if there is a failure of the valve or hose then all the contents drain out. 500 gallons of diesel makes quite a mess. It's for this reason that many localities have outlawed these tanks. For my tank I went with a Tuthill Fill-Rite hand pump. They come in both rotary and piston style. The piston pumps have twice the output of the rotary models. I bought my pump off Ebay as a package of 3. The seller wouldn't split them. I then took the two remaining pumps and sold them on Craigslist for more than what I had in the tank project! My local vendor will deliver for free if I buy 100 gallons of fuel.

photo (2).JPG