Building FEL & BH for my JD400

/ Building FEL & BH for my JD400 #1  

Carol in CA

Tractor
John Deere 400
This is the beginning of journaling this build. I ordered plans from PF Engineering and am logging the changes I need to make. I have had a number of questions which I posed to Paul at PF Engineering and he was very prompt in his replies.

Something about me and the reason for the tractor and build. I am a 70 year old minister who is about to build a house. First time for that adventure! Decided I needed help picking up and toting stuff. Mowing grass is not on the agenda nor do I intend for it to be. But picking up and toting items is. And maybe pushing a little dirt around. I did get a 4 way front blade with it.

When researching the tractor I came to realize that cast iron axles and a frame under the tractor would be a good plus. That ruled out a lot of newer tractors. As did my tight budget! :laughing: So I found this 1975 John Deere 400 named Big John. He is old, a little leaky, and getting more tired as time passes; sort of like his new owner.

Paul has informed me that the FEL will happily run off the on-board hydraulics, but the BH will need its own hydraulic system. The PTO pump he recommends will fit under the tractor in place of the missing mower deck and run directly off the mid point PTO. I was under the machine today locating where things might go. I want to locate the pump location before I place the FEL posts.

Since I have no welding skills, I will rely on my brother who is 10 hours away. I will mock-up both accessories from plywood, get the hydraulics working, then acquire the 'iron' as my brother Ron says. A trip to his place and the 'real' build will commence.

As I said, the engine is tired and has a smoking habit. Knew this before I bought it. Plan a Vanguard transplant in the future. That should cure the need for tractor 'Depends' as well. (Got to have a sense of humor about these things!) I have a local tractor repair guy who recommended a transplant rather than a rebuild. I have known Bert for over 20 years and I know he will look out for me.

First order of business is build a shade over this project and then get Big John up on stands. I'll remove the tires making measuring and such much easier. I am sure many questions will come up, but where I hope you folks will pitch in is with suggestions that likely have not occurred to me as I go.

Thanks for coming along on this adventure.

/ Building FEL & BH for my JD400 #4  
This should be a fascinating project. I'll be checking on progress. :thumbsup:

/ Building FEL & BH for my JD400
Hey, neighbor to the south! Thanks for the reply. Maybe a face to meet one day? I do that on a woodworking forum and it is always a blast.

/ Building FEL & BH for my JD400 #6  
Are you planning a mounted BH or a tow behind?

/ Building FEL & BH for my JD400
The plan is to mount it on the tractor frame. No tow behind. No 3 pt hitch. Have to design and fab the frame mount. However, the first order of business is to get the pump hooked up under the tractor. It will run off the mid-PTO. Have to locate it before I can locate the post mounts for the FEL. BH will be last to build.