Crawler Conversions

/ Crawler Conversions #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
Just curious if it would be possible to convert a tractor into a dozer/crawler. I know you can do it with a garden tractor. Can you do it with a regular tractor and utilize the braking system on it?

/ Crawler Conversions #2  
I suppose anything is possible if you are willing to spend enough time and money. If you want something that actually works you should probably buy one.

/ Crawler Conversions #3  
Just curious if it would be possible to convert a tractor into a dozer/crawler. I know you can do it with a garden tractor. Can you do it with a regular tractor and utilize the braking system on it?

I have often thought of doing this. Using the high sprocket system like the caterpiller system has now. I thought of building a frame with the idlers and rollers so that the tractor could be bolted into it. Just take the front axle, rear tires, put sprockets on the rear hubs, set the tractor into it and put the tracks over the sprockets. If you wanted a blade it would be designed into the subframe so as not to put a load on the tractor frame. Using master cylinders for braking with drums or disk brakes on the sprockets using one forward and one backward off the pitman arm it could be steered from the steering wheel with assist from differential braking from the pedals.

For me, the easy way out was to build tracks for all four tires. It drives normal, has better floatation, and doeesnt' add any weight to the axles as it is on each tire. I took 6inch channel iron cut it 12 inches long for the front and 8inch for the rear cutting them 16inches for the rears. Laid the channel out C down cut chain into three links and welded one link to one C and one to the other C with the link in the middle being the hinge. Welded some side plates to keep it centered on the tire and went about my business. They worked great.

To put on I torched holes in the end pieces so I could bolt them together. Rolled up on them, put a piece of rope though the spokes and under the first link went ahead rolling the track on. Deflated the tire, bolted it together and reinflated. The hardly squeaked and it would go anywhere I pointed it.

I thought if I broke one it would fly apart with the tire pressure against it so I did my best to break one until I did. It just broke one side and spread apart, no big deal, just took it off and rewelded. No damage. Saved me a lot of money in flats and was able to go with impunity, soft ground, briars, thorns, no problem.

/ Crawler Conversions #5  
Plumbstraight

Have just found this thread. Any chance of some pictures please? I tried siping the (worn) tires but it hasn't helped much. I need to get traction on shale and rough dirt tracks for my Ford 6000. All fine going forward but any attempt to reverse on a slope makes the wheels spin andi can't afford (or justify) new tyres at $1400 each

Thanks

Alan

/ Crawler Conversions #6  
   / Crawler Conversions #7  
This left the Fordson factory and was converted by the County to tracks http://youtu.be/l8wRnaUlis8

Here is a MF which is converted http://youtu.be/bc4gR9B2Uqc

Some MF 35X and FE35 were mounted another front axle set slightly further back without turning, steering box was hooked up to the brakes so one could still use the steering wheel to turn. They were referred to as 3/4 trac tractors instead of half track which was slightly more common

/ Crawler Conversions #8  
Alchemsa - that link will not open. I'm in OZ too so you can always email me alan.loveard@aspac-consulting.com.au

Thanks Tor - that is very interesting but it is obviously a serious engineering job beyond my capabilities. I have stick welding and a lathe plus various power tools but that's about it.

The concept of welding plates to chain links seems a simple solution

/ Crawler Conversions #9  
Aussie, I have a pic in Tracks. it is number 29 to give you an idea. Been a while since I have been around. if you go to search and use rdbrumfield, tracks I believe you can find it.

/ Crawler Conversions #10  

Attachments

• MD%20track.jpg
    MD%20track.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,056
Last edited: