we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #1  

skippamarshall

Tractor
bolens/iseki 3 cyl deisel
We have an older G174 Bolens tractor with a Iseki 3 cyl diesel engind. we need an alternator. We are not giving up on this tractor, they dont make them like this anymore. bob and sandy

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #2  
If the alternator doesn't drive any other accessory I'd replace it with a one wire GM alternator. 12 volts is 12 volts.

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #3  
I would use a GM also, but not a "one wire". They have special regulators in them, and there can be a delay when they start to charge, and of course they have a regulator that may be hard to get if it fails.

I would get a GM internally regulated alternator, the one I am familiar with you can buy from the parts store if you tell them you have a 79 monte carlo. It will have 3 connections. You can buy the pigtail to plug into the top of the alternator.

In the casting one of the pigtail connections will be labeled #1. Take this terminal and hook a wire to it, and run it up to the dash of your tractor. Hook this wire to one side of a small light bulb that has two wires(not grounded). Hook the other side of the light to a spot that has power when the ignition is on.

The other pigtail connection will be labeled #2. Take this wire and hook it directly to the large output stud of the alternator.

Then run a heavy(about 10 gauge or so) wire from the large output stud to the battery +.

That's it. Works great and it's easy to get replacement parts for.

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #5  
sort of new to this stuff, but.... My iseki 1910 the alternator was out when I got it. After a million questions I picked up a 1 wire gen. I had to mount it upside down and bend the adjustment arm to get the belts to line up but it sure beats charging a battery every week or so to get it to start. Seems to work just like it's suppose to.

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #6  
The problem with the GM alternator is that it is relatively large size for a small tractor. I used a Nippondenso alternator used on Yanmar powered John Deere tractors to retrofit a 6V gen my Oliver OC46. It is only the size of a large potato yet it works well for a small engine machine. I found a great selection and excellent price at Rare Electric. Another OC46 owner made a video of his conversion where you can see it's small size.

RareElectrical

Oliver Cletrac Alternator Conversion - YouTube

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #7  
This is dated. Approximately ten years ago when I had my G214 Bolens with an Iseki diesel, my water pump went out. The dealer that I bought the tractor from could not help with parts. I went to a larger dealer who sold Kubota, Massey, other a couple of other brands and he found the water pump that I needed along with a thermostat and the hoses. The boxes that the parts came in were marked AGCO if I remember correctly. My 2003 Deere mini x has an Iseki engine in it and I can get parts for it. Perhaps the dealer who found the parts got creative and used info on the 21HP Iseki to locate the parts.

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator
We would like to thank all of you for great responses. here is what we have done so far: I saw a similar tractor for sale from the town next to us. I called the guy and he had a similar problem before he sold it. This guy gave us the name of a shop two towns over from us that is as follows{ J.R. Bonomo, auto electric service, custom motorcycles and parts, 781 447-4771).. he got a mitsubishi alternator for us and we brought it over the shop in Carver, MA to install. I will update this forum when we get the tractor home. We really appreciate all the words of wisdom. thanks again, Sandy and Bob

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator #9  
To my knowledge, the G174 never used an "Iseki" engine. I thought all models of the G174 used Mitsubishi engines. It should have either a KE75 ( 2cylinder) or later models used the K3B ( 3 cylinder) engine. I can't speak for the Bolens/Iseki wiring connections, but on small Mitsubishi tractors, a Ford Courier alternator is a direct plug in. I made this change on my MTE2000D and the only modification was to make a 2" longer top bracket which was simply a scrap piece of 3/16" cut to size with 2 bolt holes drilled in it. I went from 13 amps to 35 amps in about 15 minutes of labor and $59 from Oreilly's Auto. It is actually stamped as a Mitsubishi brand alternator.

/ we have a G174 Bolens tractor with an iseki 3 cyl diesel. we need an alternator
we got an thank all of you for your help. actually it was a Mitsubishi alternator. it was from J.R. BONOMO (781) 447-4771. Whitman, Ma