Hand Clutch

/ Hand Clutch #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
Has anyone converted a geared manual foot clutch to a hand-lever type clutch. I'm thinking like something a disabled person would use to modify a manual transmission to a lever operated transmission.

/ Hand Clutch #2  
My dad did that for me on a old Oliver 1550. Worked good but you have to get the angle right. Also while your pulling down on the handle for the clutch with one hand your other is hitting the brake and its impossible to steer. Awkward for any tractor work unless your on open level ground where the tractor won't roll. I use a Kubota glide shift now and its perfect for a disable person. Much better than a hydro. I use a gear M7040 also with the hydro reverser. I can pull the reverser to neutral and its like a hand clutch. I can then brake or shift gears. Not as handy as a glide shift but very workable. You'll have to experiment with the handle for a clutch to see how it needs to be put on. Some pedals are "hanging" others are from the floor board. Good luck and nothing makes me forget my disablity like some seat time on a tractor!

/ Hand Clutch
what is the glide shift, or hydro reverser bilrus?
Very good to hear forgeting about your disability.

/ Hand Clutch #5  
Do a search on Trima TCC clutch, they provide a solution to tractors which you operate the clutch with a push button

/ Hand Clutch
I can't find info on the Trima TCC clutch. Just a paragraph or two. It does sound interesting.

/ Hand Clutch #7  
I haven't seen a tractor with a hand clutch since the early '50s when I spent some time with an aunt, uncle, & cousin in northern Oklahoma. My uncle was a full time farmer and had 2 old Case tractors we were using to plow fields before planting wheat. Of course those tractors had not been "converted"; they came originally with hand clutches.

/ Hand Clutch #8  
I can't find info on the Trima TCC clutch. Just a paragraph or two. It does sound interesting.

Get hold of as many push buttons as you have gear levers and mount one on each. Connect switches in parallel. You now have two choices either you can go for air operated or hydraulic operated pedal make a bracket which rotates at the same point as the clutch pedal and is made so you can use the pedal as usual connect either a hydraulic or pneumatic cylinder to the bracket so it pull the pedal. connect the cylinder to a solenoid valve that activates it and make sure you have a choke valve with integrated check valve so you can adjust how slow you want the clutch to engage. Connect switches to the solenoid valve. Get the oil pressure from the tractor if you have selected hydraulic solution or get a 12v-compressor and a small tank if you have chosen compressed air solution. Trima TCC was something that the manufacturer of the FEL with the same name supplied as an accessory so one should not be so tired in the leg when they did a lot of loader work. I've lost count of how many farmers I know who have artificially left hip after many years of clutching with poor ergonomic designed clutch pedal on many old tractors

/ Hand Clutch #9  
I did that to a old JD 110 lawn tractor and use the tractor for a cross country wheel chair, when I blew out my knee, some years ago,

I just bolted the extension on to the foot clutch that was there, a little odd pushing forward to clutch but was easer than fixing a series of levers and such for pulling to make it push, and in this instance I was fairly sure it was temporary, only needed it for about 6 months,

the problem is the length of travel can be more than comfortable

/ Hand Clutch #10  
I haven't seen a tractor with a hand clutch since the early '50s when I spent some time with an aunt, uncle, & cousin in northern Oklahoma. My uncle was a full time farmer and had 2 old Case tractors we were using to plow fields before planting wheat. Of course those tractors had not been "converted"; they came originally with hand clutches.

I had an old case with a hand clutch also , that was my first tractor . If I remember right it had a perkins diesel eng. and did that ever run good .