Work Shop 220v Receptacle?

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #1  

dos_perros

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HST,Kubota '06 RTV
I am rewiring my work shop. It has existing panel with 220v wiring. Breakers include double 30 amp for 220 circuit. 220 wiring is #10. What is the best 220v receptacle configuration to install? Want to have ability to use welder, compressor etc. Multitude of various 220v receptables is bewildering!
Thank you for your in put.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #2  
First, my shop isnt wired to code. That may or may not be important to you. Code says only one 220v recepticle/circuit. I have several daisy chained/circuit. That said I only run a max of 2 machines at a time, one/circuit. I converted all my machines (those that could be) to 220v and have a recepticle close to each machine or close to the area where it could be used (for those that are mobile). All the wiring is overhead as are many of the recepticles. This keeps cords off the floor (mostly) and out of the way. There are a few instances where I had to drop them down but tryed to keep that to a minimum. Most of the recepticles are commercial 15a as none of my tools need more than that (even at startup). The single exception is the welder which has a 30a twist lock plug (very expensive). I used a mix of #12 and #10. On my initial pass I used #10...which is fairly difficult to work w/. It was overkill and the remainder was done w/ #12.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #3  
As with the prior reply from jimg, I recommend putting in a seperate beraker/wire/socket for each 220V item. For example and average stick welder takes about a 50 amp breaker and #6 wire. However an air compressor might just draw 15 amps. If something went wrong with the compressor motor it could smoke/flame a lot before it tripped a 50 amp breaker.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle?
Thank you for the information. However, which configuration of 220v receptable is most suitable for a work shop, i.e. "stove", "dryer", etc. From what little I have learned from reading, it appears that a "stove" receptacle maybe my best bet. It seems like that provides the greatest flexability when using different 220v machines. Again, thank you for the help.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #5  
I don't know which configuration is best for you, but what I've done in the past is install the one that matches the equipment I plan to use the most, then buy either ready made adapters or buy wire and male and female connectors and make up my own adapters.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #6  
if you already have 220 v machines with the STOVE plug, then get those, if you have the other plugs then get the matching one, now remember a stove plug is usually a 50 amp plug, but if you are running a 15 amp saw then byall means make sure the spot you are going to use the saw in has a 15 amp feed. if you plug in something more than the breaker will pop but it will be safer than the saw burning up in a problem. or install in-ine breakers for the smaller amp machines and wire the shop for all of them to be 50 amp and use the plugs as required...

not going to get into the code thing cause every area is different... just be sure to be safe when using the 220 stuff.

Mark

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #7  
In some cases having the correct plug amperage-wise is important. For instance...my welder is rated for a max of 30a. If I were to wire a 50a plug onto it and somehow the thing got fryed Miller wouldnt fix it under warranty. Id stick w/ plugs/recepticles that closely match the amperage requirements/limitations of your machines. They usually arent so big and bulky as dryer/stove recepticles/plugs.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #8  
If you go look at repalcement cords for ranges,dryers, etc. You will find that the style of plug is usually associated with a current range. For example, dryer plugs/cords are usually rated at 30 amps. Range cords/plugs are usually rated at 40 - 50 amp. Be sure to use wire and plugs that are rated for at least as much current as the breaker feeding them. Otherwise a fire can result.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle?
Thank all for them useful information. It reinforces what I have been slowly concluding. There is no such thing as a useful "universal" 220v receptable. Both my panel 220 breaker and 220v wiring seem adequate. As Bird suggests, I will have to install matching machine plug and receptacle, bearing in mind the demand of the machine. Don't want it to be the "breaker."
Once again, thank you.

/ Work Shop 220v Receptacle? #10  
Actually this isnt difficult. Go down to the local Home Depot and cruise the electrics section. Youll find a wide array of recepticles w/ different ratings. Take your time and study them and their ratings (vac and amps). I think itll become clear what to use. (if it isnt then you can always ask more questions.)
Machine plugs/recepticles come in 2 duty rating/styles: commercial and industrial. For home use commercial should be fine.

One other point...if you go industrial make sure they have face plates thatll fit them. Recepticle sizes are differnt for industrial!