Residing a mobile home

/ Residing a mobile home #1  

Firemanbuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT180H, Mahindra 26Max, Yanmar 35 mini-ex, Cub Cadet Lawn Trator
I have a double wide mobile home on my property that I use as a rental. The mobile is in pretty good shape inside but is rough looking outside where the skin is dented. I'd like to reside with T-111 or Hardie board to spiff it up and maybe get a few extra bucks for rent.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What were your lessons learned?

/ Residing a mobile home #2  
We live in a 96 doublewide. It is a 2X6 exterior construction with drywall and 2X3 walls inside. The exterior is hardboard siding and in in our WA weather has not held up well. We have discussed replacing it, in the end there are two issues. The side of the house is non standard (doublewides are shorter) so there is some waste. On ours, the siding is glued. In attempting to take it off, the amount of labor has been enough to turn us off the project.

/ Residing a mobile home #3  
I have a double wide mobile home on my property that I use as a rental. The mobile is in pretty good shape inside but is rough looking outside where the skin is dented. I'd like to reside with T-111 or Hardie board to spiff it up and maybe get a few extra bucks for rent.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What were your lessons learned?

My experience has been that Hardie board can be difficult to work with but have done similar projects as you mention. If you have the time and are careful the Hardie board or panel will last a long time. If I had it to do again I would use Masonite because it is easier to work with and should last 15 years plus without a lot of maintenance. I haven't had any issues with glued in place siding but would check to see how hard yours is to remove.

I used to have an all encompassing mobile home license but got out of this work because I found it hard to get enough profit.

/ Residing a mobile home #4  
A freebie I picked up had standard vinyl siding installed. I was considering replacing it with T1-11, just cause it was in such bad shape. For you, I think traditional siding will give you more ROI

/ Residing a mobile home #5  
One of our daughters used to have a double wide with Hardi panel and we used to have a single wide with vinyl siding. I'd only want one or the other of those. Some friends had T1-11 and I'd NEVER use that stuff. Incidentally, our current home has a shop/recreation room attached and it has T1-11 siding. One of the first things I did when we bought this place was add insulated vinyl siding over that T1-11.

/ Residing a mobile home #6  
T1-11 Is a great product if you keep it painted and or have gutters. Can rot from the bottom up pretty quick, 5-10 years depending on location of course. Get some really good paint like sherwin williams Duration and you will have a lasting product but paint the bottom edge also. Hardie board is very weather resistant but a pain to work with, snaps or edge breaks very easy. Just make sure you get the real T1-11 i have seen a few stores pawning OSB outdoor as T1-11 not the same product.

/ Residing a mobile home #7  
For money vinyl is best. I hate vinyl, but it is cheap and doesn't need painted. T1-11 is expensive, needs painted, looks cheap (IMO) and doesn't last that long. Hardi looks good, lasts, but is expensive, and needs painted.

/ Residing a mobile home #8  
I have a garden shed with T1-11 and painting it with a brush is next to impossible. Using a roller isn't any fun either, spraying is the only way I will ever do it again.

/ Residing a mobile home #9  
Painting t-111 you need a roller and a brush, brush the grooves 1st and then roll the rest.

/ Residing a mobile home #10  
Painting t-111 you need a roller and a brush, brush the grooves 1st and then roll the rest.

Yep Agree. There is also a decent foam brush made for T-1-11 at sherwin stores. But a nice Graco sprayer is the bomb.