F250 rust repairs

/ F250 rust repairs #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
A few weeks ago I started a project on the boss' truck at work. Cab corners and rocker panels need replaced, and rear frame cross members are rusted out. We pulled the bed and then I got to work.

/ F250 rust repairs
Took a few hours to strip the cab of interior and doors

I cut out damaged rocker panels and cab corners

The floor came out in a few hours work with a cut off disk and spot weld cutter.

/ F250 rust repairs
Bottom of cab floor

Back of cab cross member/cab mount chanel

Old cab mount

New cab support next to old...

/ F250 rust repairs
In progress

As of friday at quitin time... floor cleaned and painted and cab supports cut out.

/ F250 rust repairs #6  
You can see why the new aluminum trucks will be popular in the rust belt states. Harbor freight needs to stock up on migs that can weld the stuff. It is great that you can order all the parts you need to replace the rusted out stuff.

/ F250 rust repairs #7  
Rust on everything here in the midwest.

/ F250 rust repairs
I wish we could buy everything. The cab floor support channels are not available, I have to custom fab both ends of all 3 channels. The ones of biggest concern are done, the ones at the back of the cab that are where the cab mounts to the frame. The other ones, which stiffen the floor and the front seats bolt too, are more elaborate and more time consumeing. The rocker panels and outter sheet metal was easy enough to obtain.

/ F250 rust repairs #9  
I wish we could buy everything. The cab floor support channels are not available, I have to custom fab both ends of all 3 channels. The ones of biggest concern are done, the ones at the back of the cab that are where the cab mounts to the frame. The other ones, which stiffen the floor and the front seats bolt too, are more elaborate and more time consumeing. The rocker panels and outter sheet metal was easy enough to obtain.

Just did this same basic repair on a F150. Your right, none of the xmembers are available (wth???) Didnt do the entire floor but patched it and made inner rockers and bought OEM outer rockers and cab corners, both sides. A ton of work.
IMG_4944_zpsffc9cb44.jpg

IMG_5037_zps3202a2d3.jpg

/ F250 rust repairs

I did one side of a reg cab truck earlier this year... had to fab the outter edge of floor pan from scratch, took about 30 hours to fab it all... but it was nearly the same contours as the factory metal. But that's a whole 'nuther story.