Homemade bandmill question

/ Homemade bandmill question
Good video on inserting the bearings in the pillow block. I've never done it like that, I've always got them with the bearings already mounted. I was going to find someone with a press, but a couple of light taps with a punch and they lined right up. I wouldn't have been as concerned about it had I seen your video first.

I'm having some trouble getting my photos from my phone to my computer. I'll post ASAP.

BTW, blades came yesterday. I'd probably be ready for them except I keep redesigning on the fly. The blueprint in my head never quite forms.

/ Homemade bandmill question #12  
I run an "off brand" mill. The local sharpening shop can order custom length blades from several different makers. I could do a little cheaper getting them from the internet, but this guy knows what works and knows what he can sharpen. The blades we originally got with the mill were tempered too far into the tooth, and wouldn't set easily.

/ Homemade bandmill question #13  
Timberking out of Kansas City is my supplier for blades. I'm very satisfied with them.
They also do my re-sharpening.

/ Homemade bandmill question
As promised, here are some pics of the build.

How I figured out how long the blade needed to be for the size I wanted to be able to cut.
20140817_154107.jpg

Built the frame
20140817_154056.jpg

Put on the top and gussets
20140820_200425.jpg

Tracking adjustment
20140820_200251.jpg

Decided to upgrade from the 9hp subaru to this 13HP harborfreight job. (I have one (6.5hp) I put on a mud motor I and never had to pull more than twice even in sub 0 temps)
20140821_201117.jpg

Motor mounted on a sliding mount. Not pictured here, I put a threaded rod with a T handle so I can adjust the belt.
20140823_195751.jpg

Blade tension/blade size adjustment. Also, notice, turned the motor around. I wanted the blade turning in the other direction, I also didn't want to have to stand directly in front of the blade to start and stop the motor, that kind of thing. I also wanted the force of the belt closer to the pillow block.
20140824_142918.jpg

So, here's s screw up that I couldn't fix, and didn't need to as these wheels center on the hubs and not the lug nuts. Plust, it works out well since all of the forces are pretty close together and well supported.
20140824_155852.jpg

Here it is put together more or less.
20140824_155909.jpg

I still need to build the blade guides and put an idler pully on to engage/disengage the belt and if it all seems to work well, then some blade guards.

** Note to anyone using my method of determining the blade length. Nylon string stretches....a lot.

/ Homemade bandmill question #15  
I ended up buying a woodland mills unit. For under 3 grand, could not justify the build since my last project remains uncompleted 2 years later. Love being able to cut my own timbers. My blades are 12 footers but when buying 10 blades, they are about 25 bucks a piece. Enjoy.