Locating and using a Compact Bender

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I just purchased a HF compact bender and need to locate it in my small shop/garage. I want it out of the way enough that I can keep it installed most of the time hopefully. Plan on using 4qty 1/2in dia. concrete anchors and bolt it down. Sorry for the newbie question here, but I have never used one before so I am wondering how much floor space do I need all the way around it. Can I put it sort of close to one wall or a corner? I will be playing mostly with flat bar stock no more than 10ft long.

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender #2  
there are concrete anchors that are actually inserts.. like nuts that you can bolt into, you could put it in the center of your garage bolt it down and just remove it when your not using it, that way theres not threads sticking out of the floor to trip on... just a thought

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender #3  
I bought a hf rod and pipe bender also, I put it about 3 feet from the wall, no problems just position the handle in a fashion that gives you the most articulation when removing the rod or pipe

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender
there are concrete anchors that are actually inserts.. like nuts that you can bolt into, you could put it in the center of your garage bolt it down and just remove it when your not using it, that way theres not threads sticking out of the floor to trip on... just a thought
That's interesting... what I don't want is a trip hazard and thus one of the reasons for mounting it sort of out of the way. I already bought the anchors but I like your idea. Are those a Home Depot item?

I bought a hf rod and pipe bender also, I put it about 3 feet from the wall, no problems just position the handle in a fashion that gives you the most articulation when removing the rod or pipe
When you say articulation, are you talking about the motion of the handle or the metal I am bending?

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender #6  
Yes, I think it is a Redhead product. They are 1/2 inch inserts that drive into a drilled hole in the concrete and then set with a drive tool. My gun safe, my drill press and my deck for my fifth wheel are all secured with them. I have yet to have one pull out and the install is really easy. I think the overall diameter is 3/4, but I can't remember for sure as the last one I drove was 4 months ago.

Yes, I think it is a Redhead product. They are 1/2 inch inserts that drive into a drilled hole in the concrete and then set with a drive tool. My gun safe, my drill press and my deck for my fifth wheel are all secured with them. I have yet to have one pull out and the install is really easy. I think the overall diameter is 3/4, but I can't remember for sure as the last one I drove was 4 months ago.
Thanks gator! But dang it... another trip to HD and I can't install tonight. I hate waiting. I am like a little boy at xmas when it comes to tools and messing with them! :D

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender #8  
Actualy I was talking about the metal, sometimes it take a little manipulating to remove.. Of course you could remove the roller but I never do!

/ Locating and using a Compact Bender #10  
I will say this, I've put very tight bends on 1/2 in steel rod, at the very end of the rod, I weigh 220 and am 5 10, pretty stout for my age still and I put a lot of effort sometimes getting a bend. They better be strong inserts able to handle a lot .