Bolens 944 articulating front mount mower arrived today !!!

/ Bolens 944 articulating front mount mower arrived today !!!
Todays progress picture shows the transaxle back in the frame. I also locked the axle for positive traction for snowplowing. If I like it I may install a 18 hp engine with a heavier transaxle. I see another one for sale on Craigslist and I know where there is another one rusting away . One is enough for now. :laughing:
This week I will rebuild the carb, I found a bowl yesterday to replace mine that has pinholes in it. Also the whole thing needs all new wiring. Also the steering column is very sloppy and will need repaired. This is definately the worst buy I have made with so many problems on it. But this is a challenge everyday and great fun. A week from today I should have the new snowblade made for it . I am deciding the tire sizes today:confused:
This might not be quite ready for the junkyard just yet:thumbsup: aaabigtires.jpg

Finally after nine days I am starting to get excited about this project. Now with the larger tires I am going to re-design the front. First a right side console for easier operation. Then four new headlights for night time snowplowing. I also widened the floor by 2 inches on each side for more leg room. I will close in the front on both side to minimize the cold winter winds when out in the blizzards. :thumbsup:
The best thing about dragging home junk tractors is if you mess up it doesn't matter , it's JUNK :laughing:

photoaaadashlevers.jpg

/ Bolens 944 articulating front mount mower arrived today !!! #14  
There is one of those Bolens "tractor" not far from my house and on my way home from work. I know it was for sale a while ago so I may hav to stop and ask about it!

I have seen several of these on Craiglist the last month . This one was on for 29 days before I bought it and there is another one on now so far for 25 days . There were three other ones but I don't see them now. Looks like they are pretty common and not worth much. The guy I bough it from was offered $50.00 from three different people and he told them he would haul it to the junkyard instead. So lucky I stepped up to the plate and bought it . I could buy the other one too because it looks like nobody wants it either. Lack of parts, rediculous prices for parts and lack of ambition causes most of them to go to the scrap pile by the looks of it. Too Bad.
The good news is I am going to Decal this saying JUNKYARD BOLENS so no-one thinks it is a jd . :confused2:
Todays progress I got the new console with the new switches and cables mounted. I also changed the rear tires to 23x10.50x12's . I did not like the lug tires on it.
Thanks those of you wanting to keep this positive , much appreciated. :thumbsup:aaareartires.jpg

/ Bolens 944 articulating front mount mower arrived today !!! #16  
Looking good :thumbsup:

How well does it turn with the locked axle?

Thanks ,
With the steering wheel cranked all the way there is a 2 inch gap between the larger tires, so perfect and it still turns tight. Can't wait to drive it the first time in a couple more weeks.

/ Bolens 944 articulating front mount mower arrived today !!! #18  
How about putting a bucket on the front and make it a pay-loader!

/ Bolens 944 articulating front mount mower arrived today !!! #19  
How about putting a bucket on the front and make it a pay-loader!
My mower isn't articulated, but I did put a bucket on it.

The 1990 front drive TORO Groundsmaster, with no deck.
P9150980.JPG

Added a loader.
P9060025.JPG P9060019.JPG P9060021.JPG

Click the link in my signature for the rest of the story.

WOW !!!,
That is a one of a kind set up !!
Now your a fellow like me with a vision , ha,ha. I'm sure you were told it could not be done . That thing is so COOL ! I love it :drink: