LPGS build

/ LPGS build #1  

CDN Farm Boy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I've got about 1200 ft of gravel drive that has nicely grown up with the strip of grass between the tire tracks that my wife is rather fond of. I had been maintaining it with a rear blade just fine but this year the grass strip has really grown so the rear blade won't work any more. My wife's instruction to keep the grass was easy argument for me to build a LPGS to maintain the tire tracks.

I'm going to do things a bit different than most. Rather than building one the width of the tractor, I'm building it the width of the tire tracks in the lane -- 3'

Scrap yard is only 5 min drive from my house with lots of pickings to build from.

I'd wanted to find some 12" channel for the sides but could only find 8" or 9" in decent lengths or a 20' of 12". The guys can be a pain if you want them to cut stuff they'd rather try to get you to take the whole thing. Managed to find a 10' length of 15" that would work better than the 9".

660lbs and $260 later I was on my way home

Last edited:
   / LPGS build
6' cutting edge that has never seen dirt. The teeth on one side is a bonus and hopefully will help loosen things up better.

ForumRunner_20140901_222932.png

Cut the 6' down to two 3' sections and mocked up mounting angle for them.

ForumRunner_20140901_222939.png

The 10' length of channel was cut down to make two 5' long side panels. Also cut a 4x6 angle off the leading edge to keep it from digging in. Trying to cut thru the 1" flanges of the channel with the plasma was not fun. Then again, it was my first day using one.

ForumRunner_20140901_222952.png

Setup for drilling for the blade mounts. I'll be able to have the straight blades either flush with the sides or 1" below. If I got my calculations right, if I were to mount the blade with the teeth down, they'd be either 1.5" or 2.5" below.

ForumRunner_20140901_223002.png

4x4 cross tubes front and back set in place

ForumRunner_20140901_223016.png

ForumRunner_20140901_223026.png

Last edited:
   / LPGS build
Progress as of end of today: All welded up, just need to mount the blades and fab up some brackets for the 3 pt hitch. Need to figure out why my plasma isn't cutting properly before I can make them. Either operator error as I've never used one before this or my machine is a dud.

ForumRunner_20140901_223151.png

ForumRunner_20140901_223158.png

ForumRunner_20140901_223206.png

Last edited:
   / LPGS build
Trying to figure out the horizontal spacing for the lower link mounts...looking for input.

I want this to fit a quick hitch for when I finally get one but am coming up with different measurements. I have literature here for 2 different brands, one lists 25 3/4" between the mounts and the other says 27 1/4". My Kubota snow blower measures 27 1/8" while my rear blade is 26 1/2". On the EA site, Ted says 26 1/2" is the common width for lowers

Last edited:
   / LPGS build #5  
Here are the ASAE specs:

ASAEquickHitchImplementDim.jpg

26.81 to 26.94 inches

Bruce

/ LPGS build #7  
Note that it isn't frame width, if the pins are mounted on only one end. The width includes the nut or shoulder.

Bruce

/ LPGS build #8  
I agree with the wife. A long two-track driveway is an indicator of the good life.

What the heck does LPGS mean?

/ LPGS build #9  
I agree with the wife. A long two-track driveway is an indicator of the good life.

What the heck does LPGS mean?
Land Plane/Grading Scraper I believe ...

/ LPGS build
Note that it isn't frame width, if the pins are mounted on only one end. The width includes the nut or shoulder.

Bruce

That's what I'd figured but clarification is always good. I had been thinking of single mounted pins but am now reconsidering for clevis mount