Lawn Roller Build

/ Lawn Roller Build #1  

Al Mac

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2920
I want to build a lawn roller. Something for the 3 point hitch on the Kubota 2920. It would be nice to have the roller so it could be moved easier than the concrete ones as it would be lighter when not in used. A thought I had is to use the weight box as added weight and have the roller(s) mounted on a frame under it.
Any thoughts/photos on past projects. Not much point on me reinventing the wheel (roller) when it has been done.

Al

/ Lawn Roller Build #2  
I did a complete build on a roller & compactor. don't remember the name of the thread. About 2 years ago. Think if you go to search & type in roller or sheeps foot it should come up. It can be filled with water for added weight & emptied for transport
Here are a couple of pictures.

bushing.jpg - parked.jpg

/ Lawn Roller Build #3  
I don't understand your concept. I have built and used rollers but they were all tow behind.

I would think using them as a three point hitch function would make it difficult to turn, unless you just use a hole in the draw-bar to attach it to.

/ Lawn Roller Build
While all I have seen are tow behind and you are right if doing a lot of turning would be hard to do. I am dealing with a very open area and only turning at the ends.
I was thinking if the roller didn't have a flat edge on the ends and was more rounded that would help with the cutting in on the on the grass on the wide turns and slight corrections in steering.
It would be mounted under the weight box on a frame so any sharp turns or places not needed (getting to and from the area) it could be lifted up of the ground.

With the weight of the box the roller(s) could be smaller in diameter and more than one if needed.

While this is just a idea and many of you have been "on a roll" longer than myself. What is your thoughts.

Al

/ Lawn Roller Build #5  
Would there me more stress on the 3 pt arms even as to make slight corrections? I know the arms are beefy but things happen. Let us know how it all works out.

/ Lawn Roller Build #6  
Would there me more stress on the 3 pt arms even as to make slight corrections? I know the arms are beefy but things happen. Let us know how it all works out.
Dragging a rolling piece of pipe isn't going to stress the 3 PH arms even when turning. Lots less stress than say pulling a chisel plow from the 3 PH. LIFTING the weight might, but then again, if the hydraulic will lift it, then the lift arms should take the stress.

/ Lawn Roller Build #7  
I would make a tow unit. OR buy one.

The B2920 is limited on what it can lift. And if you want a roller that is wider than the spread of the arms of the tractor, that means a heavy frame of some type to support the roller a distance behind the arms. Further limiting the total weight of the unit.

At the end of the day, I you will end up with an over complex unit, that dont work any better than a tow behind from TSC (and those dont work well as they are too light).

I guess I should ask why you are wanting to roll? If it is to make lawn smoother, you need WEIGHT. Other than that, I dont see what good a roller is and they are hard on the lawn/grass.

/ Lawn Roller Build #9  
Lifting a roller with enough weight to do much good is impractical. Rounded ends like on a propane tank will keep dig in to a min men.

I made one for a friend out of a 30 gal. propane tank, filled with sand for extra weight & water could also be added. Those tanks are a little thin if you have a lot of rocks & will dent up, but still work fine.

For sharp turns pushing is much better than pulling. I push mine most of the time. Pushing takes a little practice & getting use too.

/ Lawn Roller Build #10  
We built this one a few years back. Actually heavy enough to do some good. Also good for compacting gravel before concrete is poured, and for packing earth when doing dirt work. It weighs ~600# empty, and is 38" diameter and 4' wide. It can hold about 1900# of water. There are times it would be nice if it weighed more. There is no way you would lift a 2500# roller with a B2920. Even half that would be a struggle. Not sure what the intended uses are, so without knowing that, I cannot offer any more advise.

Mar29_0008.jpg