Power Rake build

/ Power Rake build #71  
I need one... I mow 7 acres of old pasture and would sure be nice if I could get the ruts out of it. I can lay my hands on an old 7 foot Mott flail mower that might make for a good start. It has a bad gear box but just so happens I have one that will bolt up. Wondering if the existing belt drive would be heavy duty enough to handle turning the drum into a rake.

Incredible build and great documentation Zick. I've rented a Harley Rake a few times but just can't justify buying one for my limited use. I have contemplated building one a few times and your detailed build definitely pushes me in that direction. Has anyone here considered using an old (or even new) 3pt tiller as the basis for a build? It appears most tillers have a single shaft with multiple tines bolted on. I'm considering the logistics of removing that shaft and building a drum like Zick's. Just have to figure out the mounting scheme for the ends of the shaft. My thought being that a tiller would offer the full frame, housing and gear box to start with. Even a new 6' tiller can be found for $1600-$2000 (far less than a Harley Rake).
Anybody else ever consider this option for your builds?

/ Power Rake build #72  
Incredible build and great documentation Zick. I've rented a Harley Rake a few times but just can't justify buying one for my limited use. I have contemplated building one a few times and your detailed build definitely pushes me in that direction. Has anyone here considered using an old (or even new) 3pt tiller as the basis for a build? It appears most tillers have a single shaft with multiple tines bolted on. I'm considering the logistics of removing that shaft and building a drum like Zick's. Just have to figure out the mounting scheme for the ends of the shaft. My thought being that a tiller would offer the full frame, housing and gear box to start with. Even a new 6' tiller can be found for $1600-$2000 (far less than a Harley Rake).
Anybody else ever consider this option for your builds?
Tillers don't normally angle side to side and you would want a reverse tine tiller to start from which in my searching aren't nearly as common used. Also have to make sure the drum is larger than the drive sprocket at the bottom of the chain case so the chain case doesn't drag in the dirt.

With that said, if you had an old one sitting around with a bent drum then you could probably make something work.

/ Power Rake build #73  
Just watched your thread on the power rake build. I am years late in adding to thread. Sorry

If possible, it would help to have a better understanding of the following
1. You suggested that you geared it down to run the drum at half the 540 RPM of the PTO. What was the reason for this? Is 540 RPM too fast?

2. Did you add a oil bath for the chain? If so, how did you seal the oil bath to prevent leakage around the shaft?

Great build!!

Thanks

/ Power Rake build
Hey CPNW,
1. Most if not all harley rakes I looked at only ran around 250rpms so that's why I choose that speed. After using it, 270 rpms is surprisingly fast and works just fine.
2. The chain is not in an oil bath, just lubed up real well and put a hole in the top above it to spray in the lube without taking off the cover. So far so good.

Thanks