Woe is Me

/ Woe is Me #21  
The scrap man is not very helpful anymore. I took in approximately the weight of scrap (I loaded up some old stuff) and headed to the scrap man. I figured it was an even trade his scrap for mine. Nope, he bought mine at scrap prices (no problem) but then sold me the steel I was looking for at market rate. I had enough that I only had to spend about $20 but geez. Maybe I was just being optimistic.

/ Woe is Me #22  
Around here it is photo ID, thumb print, and check is mailed to address on ID for copper sales.

Hmmm we have to show proof of identity (which is written down) to sell copper.... They pull your lighting rods off the roof...

/ Woe is Me #23  
Well, it hasn't got that bad for copper around here yet. We scrap a lot of legit copper at work, (several thousand pounds a year) and as far as I know, the guy shows up with the truck, they unload it, and he heads back with the cash.

The biggest issue around where I live, (which is in the middle of a city with 1M+ people), is the homeless and the natives stealing aluminum cans. They will break in and do 1000's in damage to steal 20 bucks worth of cans. The cops won't do jack sh%t cause its just cans.

Last bast@#$ds got me 75 bucks worth of cans, but broke into the garage, and took a 1K+ laptop, and a $400.00 DVR for my video system, along with my cheapo digital camera, all because they figured out I have surveillance cameras.

One of the guys at work had his truck canopy windows smashed for 2 bags of cans. They left the tools and jerry cans of fuel behind.

/ Woe is Me #24  
What does scrap steel go for now? I have maybe a quarter ton of (was) galvanized water pipe too rusty for re-use. Is it worth hauling a long way to sell, or just take it to the dump?

And what should be the price/lb to buy useful salvage - short pieces of angle iron etc?

My local scrap yard was paying $0.49/lb.

/ Woe is Me #25  
Thieves hit center pivot irrigation rigs for the copper around here. Sheriffs department has a task force for it.
Not only does it cost the farmer repairs but there are only so many people who service them so it costs crop value for the time the irrigation is down for repair.
My cousin and uncle are in the pivot business and now security systems are almost required on them.
Several thieves have been held at gunpoint waiting for the cops.

/ Woe is Me
We still have a salvage yard just south of here in Conroe. I stripped my old meter pole of copper and took it to them. They took my photo. They have some awesome hydraulic grapples there!
hugs<<><>>Brandi

They are real touchy around here for scrap, especially radiators and copper wire due to the popularity with thieves. Some go to great effort to steal copper. However empty cans of your favorite beverage get through easily and earn a wink from the unloader.

Mark

/ Woe is Me #28  
The local junkyards here have been bought up by big corporations... No more scrounging :(

My local town land fill charges $80 a ton to dump anything -- I have a good size pile of aluminum screen doors from work in my backyard since I refuse to pay to dump them... I wait to I have enough to bring them to a junkyard.

Luckliy we still have a 'steel salvage yard'... They have used steel, remnants and can get any new stuff you want. And will sell you 2" or 40' for the same price per pound.