Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter?

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #1  

jamtuc

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Just wondering if it matters which direction that a hydro drive tractor was driven fwd or revervse. :confused3:

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #2  
no clue myself but unless it has straight cut gears there is a "stronger" drive direction as the teeth pull into the helical vs push against it.

Mark

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #3  
I am not sure what you are asking.

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #4  
Only to the operator!!

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #5  
i would imagine it should not matter. granted there is normally more "forward" gears vs reverse gears (hi, med, low) like settings. were you can go faster in forward vs reverse. there is "power" hydro transmission, same amount of gears forward and reverse for (hi,med,low) that may give you exactly same speed forward and reverse.

SPIKER most likely has it though, various gears and more so the teeth on them. i would imagine you would have more forward umph and less tear and wear driving forward vs reverse.

though now that i think about it some... i am trying to figure out what actual reversing stuff i do, that would even come close to what i put on tractor when i drive forward... back dragging, that is not a big one.

i am not attaching anything to tractor FEL and driving backward, nor or 3pt hitch... normally only time reverse see's any sort of action is once i loaded something up on FEL or on 3pt hitch and backing up.

i suppose backing up hill in reverse, i have had to do that a few times.

heck i really can't think of anything were i might jamb something while in reverse and give everything a good shake down. vs what i have done in forward motion.

getting stuck in mud/snow/ice and using FEL and backhoe to push/pull me along. but transmission and gears really not taking a beating in reverse due to tires slipping and sliding.

===============
going in reverse more fragile? thinking about maybe more than i would have thought?

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #6  
The HST itself won't care. Pretty sure it works the same fwd or reverse, just crossing the output pipe to change direction. Helical gears are stronger forward vs reverse, as is the traction on R1 at tires & to a lesser degree R4 industrials.

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #7  
My Massey does not have near the power in reverse as it does in forward.

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #8  
My Massey does not have near the power in reverse as it does in
forward.

That's interesting. An HST in FWD or REV uses the same variable-displacement piston pump to drive the
same fixed (usually) displacement piston motor. Going from one direction or the other is accomplished by
tilting the swash plate on the pump one way or the other. There is a separate RV for FWD and REV, but all
I have seen internally (Kubota, JD, Kioti, McCormick) use the same pressure setting for either direction. All
gears are the same.

Could you be experiencing a lower traction condition in REV, vs. FWD? R1 and R4 tires do much better
in FWD.

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #9  
Ed,
Did you mean less speed in reverse Vs forwrd or less power. I believe most HST tractors have limited or reduced speed in reverse Vs forwards for safety purposes.

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #10  
And then you have something like my Power Trac, where every wheel has its own hydraulic motor, and one variable volume pump powers all of them, so no gears. It goes 8mph forward or reverse. But that's not a very common setup among "real" tractors. :laughing: