Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4060

Default Fuel Tank Storage

I'm going to buy a 30 gallon drum tank for fuel storage for my tractor. What I am going to is put it in the truck and take it over the gas station to fill it up. When I bring it back home, I'll need to use my FEL to unload it. What could I put on the tank to be able to grab it with a chain? Also, will I get any flack from the gas station filling a tank like this while sitting in the back of my pickup?

-tank-jpg
    Kubota L4060 HST - LA805, BH92, Thumb, 72" BoxBlade

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

Default Re: Fuel Tank Storage

This should work well for unloading with your FEL: Northern Industrial Drum Lifter | Drum Pullers, Rotators Stackers| Northern Tool + Equipment

I would suggest checking your state laws as for filling and transporting. If your container meets state law then the gas station shouldn't be giving you any flack.
    Chris

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by lzicc View Post
    .... Also, will I get any flack from the gas station filling a tank like this while sitting in the back of my truck?
    You might. Look at the pump for a sticker that says "aproved containers only" or simmilar.
    Dan H.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    '13 Yanmar Lx4100

30 gallons nobody is going to care about, most transfer tanks in pickups are 50-90 gallons around here. A 30 gallon tank I would just roll like an oxygen tank, we do it with 55 gallon drums all the time.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ariens

or paint it yellow and put stickers on it "DIESEL ONLY" ... then strap it down in the bed ....

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

You shouldn't have any problems filling it in your truck. If you do, take your business to another station. Diesel is not going to flash like gasoline from static electricity so it is pretty safe to fill into an ungrounded tank.
    There are lots of ways to get it off your truck 1) put a strap around it at the top ring and lift it out. 2) If you have the bungs in place, you can tip it over and roll it off using an ATV loading ramp or 2x12 piece of lumber, 3) you could put it on a pallet and strap it securely and use forks on your FEL to lift it. 4) build a frame around it as one member did so you can attach a chain to the top lift arm and take it out with the FEL.

Finally if you have a pocket full of money laying around, they do make an attachment for loading forks that is designed to lift barrels and it fastens and unfastens automatically. You just drive forward to position it around the barrel, lift and it closes, then to remove lower it a bit and back out.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by kf4uda View Post
    This should work well for unloading with your FEL: Northern Industrial Drum Lifter | Drum Pullers, Rotators Stackers| Northern Tool + Equipment

I would suggest checking your state laws as for filling and transporting. If your container meets state law then the gas station shouldn't be giving you any flack.
    I don't think those would work on plastic tanks.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I don't think those would work on plastic tanks.

I agree that it would not work on plastic but that sure looks like a metal drum in the picture that he posted.
    Chris

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B26 and Kubota ZG222

I just started using a 20 gallon plastic drum. I put a hose in the top with a valve on the end of the hose. lat it down in the bucket and load it in the truck then I lay it down in the bucket to unload it. and while I have it in the bucket I raise it up and gravity feed what I need in the tractor.
    Woody

Tractor
    JD 4120 eHydro 4wd, 400x loader, bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, grapple and a New Holland TC35 gear 4wd no loader

I keep my transfer tank on a pallet all the time.
    When its time to fill it I use my pallet forks and load it in the back of the truck. When I get home unload it and put it back where I keep it.
    I started buying diesel at Kroger. Using fuel points and buying when the price is lower it ends up being way cheaper than getting off road delivered for me.
    YOU SHOULD TREAT EVERYONE WITH COURTESY AND RESPECT. BUT HAVE A PLAN FOR KILLING THEM........JUST IN CASE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast