Fuel Tank Storage

/ Fuel Tank Storage #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I'm going to buy a 30 gallon drum tank for fuel storage for my tractor. What I am going to is put it in the truck and take it over the gas station to fill it up. When I bring it back home, I'll need to use my FEL to unload it. What could I put on the tank to be able to grab it with a chain? Also, will I get any flack from the gas station filling a tank like this while sitting in the back of my pickup?

Tank.JPG

/ Fuel Tank Storage #2  
   / Fuel Tank Storage #3  
.... Also, will I get any flack from the gas station filling a tank like this while sitting in the back of my truck?
You might. Look at the pump for a sticker that says "aproved containers only" or simmilar.

/ Fuel Tank Storage #4  
30 gallons nobody is going to care about, most transfer tanks in pickups are 50-90 gallons around here. A 30 gallon tank I would just roll like an oxygen tank, we do it with 55 gallon drums all the time.

/ Fuel Tank Storage #5  
or paint it yellow and put stickers on it "DIESEL ONLY" ... then strap it down in the bed ....

/ Fuel Tank Storage #6  
You shouldn't have any problems filling it in your truck. If you do, take your business to another station. Diesel is not going to flash like gasoline from static electricity so it is pretty safe to fill into an ungrounded tank.
There are lots of ways to get it off your truck 1) put a strap around it at the top ring and lift it out. 2) If you have the bungs in place, you can tip it over and roll it off using an ATV loading ramp or 2x12 piece of lumber, 3) you could put it on a pallet and strap it securely and use forks on your FEL to lift it. 4) build a frame around it as one member did so you can attach a chain to the top lift arm and take it out with the FEL.

Finally if you have a pocket full of money laying around, they do make an attachment for loading forks that is designed to lift barrels and it fastens and unfastens automatically. You just drive forward to position it around the barrel, lift and it closes, then to remove lower it a bit and back out.

/ Fuel Tank Storage #7  
   / Fuel Tank Storage #8  
I don't think those would work on plastic tanks.

I agree that it would not work on plastic but that sure looks like a metal drum in the picture that he posted.

/ Fuel Tank Storage #9  
I just started using a 20 gallon plastic drum. I put a hose in the top with a valve on the end of the hose. lat it down in the bucket and load it in the truck then I lay it down in the bucket to unload it. and while I have it in the bucket I raise it up and gravity feed what I need in the tractor.

/ Fuel Tank Storage #10  
I keep my transfer tank on a pallet all the time.
When its time to fill it I use my pallet forks and load it in the back of the truck. When I get home unload it and put it back where I keep it.
I started buying diesel at Kroger. Using fuel points and buying when the price is lower it ends up being way cheaper than getting off road delivered for me.