oppinions wanted on steel pipe fence posts

/ oppinions wanted on steel pipe fence posts #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
a few years ago I was given an old center pivot irrigation system, if I would remove from the person place,
my thoughts have been to use the 6 5/8" od pipe that the water had ran through as fence posts, (this is painted not galvanized, and about 10 gauge pipe, I would call it tubing but by size it is pipe,
the steel is in good shape for it use and age, (this the materials I have and what I plan on using)
but being so thin walled I am concerned that it may rust/rot off in a corral situation. faster than desired
and since my bull took out a wood gate posts yesterday , I need a new gate post to day, and am consider using the steel pipe,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
do you think I should be concerned about the longevity of the pipes?
the ground is sandy and rain fall about 12" average here things last a long time (I have pulled up some old machinery parts from under the surface that most likely are pre 1930 and most not that bad of shape some rust and pitting,
any other treatments you think one should consider,

(one of my thoughts are to fill the pipe in ground section and a foot or so above ground with some concrete and drop in a few rebar's 1/2". to support it if it does rot off at ground level or below, (this is a lot of work tho)

Other ideas I have thought of, (ground contact area)
tar,
latex roof coating or foundation coating,
wrap with tar paper,
paint, (if so what kind)
soak the ground with some kind of oil around the post,
current plan is to set just like a wood post by tamping soils up next to it,
I have never set posts in concrete, I could go to town and get a few bags of quickcrete to set it with, and if doing many posts set up my mixer. but I doubt if setting in concrete would keep it from rusting,

/ oppinions wanted on steel pipe fence posts #2  
If you set the post in concrete and bring the concrete high enough to keep water from standing against the post, it will probably last pretty well. Concrete poured against steel "passivates" the steel and prevents rust chemically as long as air doesn't get to the steel surface. However, if the inside of the pipe fills with water and stands against the steel, it will rust on the inside.

/ oppinions wanted on steel pipe fence posts #3  
I like the idea of filling the entire pipe with concrete, but I've seen some very old pipe in the ground that just has surface rust and is still very secure without anything inside of it.

Eddie