Firewood processor build thread

/ Firewood processor build thread #1  

kiotiken

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab
So my wife took the kids to visit her sister in Toronto this weekend... I've been thinking about building a firewood processor for a long time now, so it was time to get started. Like everybody else who builds one, I watched hundreds of youtube videos for ideas. After many design ideas, I finally settled on a very unique idea, KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid! I decided to simplify the design. My processor would split and advance the log at the same time, why add hyraulic motors, chains and rollers? My design is to use the splitters stroke to also advance the log to the next cutting position. It also uses my existing chainsaw to cut logs. I'm leaving it open to add a hydraulic saw in the future, but for now, my existing saw will do.

So far, I've bought half the steel I'm going to need. I've also bought a 15 hp engine, a 10 gallon hydraulic tank, a 4 inch log splitter ram and a few hoses. I still need to buy the two stage log splitter pump and steel for the 2, 4 and 6 way wedges. I'm at about $1300 so far, with another $1000 - 1500 to go. This is mostly going to be a picture thread as I slowly build this thing. Here's what I got done Friday night and Saturday...

IMG_20141017_182211.jpgIMG_20141017_194440.jpgIMG_20141017_224526.jpg

I had to rip a piece of steel for runners. An hour and a 8 cutting disks later...

IMG_20141018_123252.jpgIMG_20141018_134631.jpg

Slide to carry the log...

IMG_20141018_155623.jpg

trough for the log

IMG_20141018_194848.jpgIMG_20141018_200941.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141017_194440.jpg
    IMG_20141017_194440.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 997
   / Firewood processor build thread #2  
I think Farmi builds one on the same principle. You have my interest!

/ Firewood processor build thread
Good to know somebody else has tried it! After watching hours of youtube videos, it's intimidating to build one completely different from anything else I've seen. Hopefully it works.

/ Firewood processor build thread #4  
That's quite a project but well worth doing for what they cost.

Will you rig a remote throttle for the saw motor so it can idle down between cuts?

That's quite a project but well worth doing for what they cost.

Will you rig a remote throttle for the saw motor so it can idle down between cuts?

No remote throttle. I'll position the controls so my left hand controls the splitter and my right hand can stay on the saw. The only time I should have to move will be to roll the next log onto the processor. I'm going to have a deck, but it won't be live (at least not yet). I think it should be easy to reach across with something like a garden hoe and roll the next log into the trough. If not, it will be modified next year when I build a conveyor.

/ Firewood processor build thread #6  
I can see how the splitter cylinder will advance the log. How do you plan on holding the log into place while retracting the splitter cylinder. Without something to hold the log in place, it will slide back as well as it slides forward. I see a couple of other problems with your ideal as well. Without some sort of log clamping system, the last round off the log will tumble into your splitting trough and have to be repositioned by hand.

/ Firewood processor build thread #7  
I can see how the splitter cylinder will advance the log. How do you plan on holding the log into place while retracting the splitter cylinder. Without something to hold the log in place, it will slide back as well as it slides forward. I see a couple of other problems with your ideal as well. Without some sort of log clamping system, the last round off the log will tumble into your splitting trough and have to be repositioned by hand.

I'd suggest spikes on a cam where the cam would rotate allowing the log to slide forward under the spikes but would lock when the log tried to slide backwards. You could use a spring to engage it. Petty easy to do and simple too.

I have plan A & B for holding the log to prevent it from retracting with the splitter. Plan A is to build a manual arm that will slid over the log while the splitter is extending but bite in when it is retracting. That shouldn't take much force at all. It will also hold the log while it's being cut. If the manual arm isn't enough, I'm going to install a hydraulic scissor clamp to grab both sides, right at the end of the trough, but I really don't think it'll be necessary.

You're right about the last round. it will stay on the slide and have to be pushed by hand into the splitting trough. Hopefully it won't be necessary to re-position it often, but if it is, I'll do some brain storming to figure something out.

/ Firewood processor build thread #9  
I did consider using the splitter cyl to advance a log on the processor I am trying to put together. My thoughts where to make the slide so that it would grab the log while extending, but collapse during retraction. Angle iron on a pin with springs to pull the angle up to grab the log, but compress upon retraction. I also figured on a clamp to hole the log in place while sawing and figured it would serve well to hold the log on retraction. To much fabricating, plus I found a used conveyor cheap, so I just gave up on the whole ideal. I have been working on ideals and gathering parts for about 3 or 4 years now and am just about ready to start the build.