FEL Tree Trimmer

/ FEL Tree Trimmer #1  

XxLT250RxX

Bronze Member
I am interested in building a tree trimmer like the one in the video. I would probably use a single 24" blade similar to the video or maybe two or three smaller blades mounted vertical. The company appears to be out of business. Any ideas on what the specifications on the hydraulic motor might have been?

/ FEL Tree Trimmer #2  
A 3 cu in hyd motor using 10 GPM and 2500 psi, will run at 770 rpm and develop about 1194 in of torque.

If you go to smaller cu in motor, the speed increases, and the torque decreases.

/ FEL Tree Trimmer #3  
Hate to be a spoilsport for a good project,,,,,,but I do exactly what that that guy's doing all the time, with a string-trimmer that has a skilsaw blade on it. I can reach higher, reach lower, cut many more angles, cut each branch in a more sensible way, including flush-cut at ground level, and cut much faster. And not leave any eye-pokers.:shocked:

I can also reduce a cut branch to 1-foot chunks in seconds, and not have to pick it up. TING TING TING TING. Done. I tried a 10" carbide blade, it was heavy, took awhile to spool up and seemed very dangerous, I like the 7 1/4" skilsaw size. Plus I have a stack of old skilsaw blades, so it's almost zero cost.
:cool:

More description on post 56 of this other thread

I recently bought a new echo PAS266 PAS-266callouts.jpg with the quick-attach system - and a 3 foot 'extension', I can cut 11 feet high. I have the chainsaw attachment too, for bigger stuff. The skilsaw is much faster and much lighter than the chainsaw on anything less than 2". Out on the end of a 6 foot (or 9 foot) pole the chainsaw weight makes a huge difference, as well as the speed, how long you have to hold position.

Having both is good, especially if you get one stuck you can unhook and cut it out with the other. I find the skilsaw blade to be far easier to use, and can work many more hours than with the chainsaw attachment (due to weight and cut speed). Plus you can cut bushes flush at ground level with the skilsaw.

Here's how I attached the skilsaw blade. Don't even bother testing echo's 'brush blade', you need carbide. You just touch the branch, and TING, TING TING it's gone.

IMG_8269.jpg IMG_8270.jpg IMG_8271.jpg
IMG_8273.jpg IMG_8274.jpg

Sorry for going off-topic, depends if you want to build something, or cut brush. If you want to cut brush, I'm certain the string trimmer option is better.

/ FEL Tree Trimmer #5  
My $0.02

If you're gonna trim trees, do it the right way. That video was painful to watch. Make flush cuts when possible/practical. Do it during late winter or very early spring. Not Fall or early winter.

Cutting like that may result in the trees pushing even more growth where it is not wanted.

Also, not cutting back to the trunk or to a primary branch you will most definitely end up with more, small prunings, resulting in even more clean up work.

And may I suggest wearing a proper forestry helmet with face shield?

Happy tree trimming!

/ FEL Tree Trimmer #6  
   / FEL Tree Trimmer #7  
I have one of those. They sized the cylinder big enough to cut anything that will fit within the jaws. It's way overkill for small stuff though because the cycle time on that 5 inch (or so) diameter cylinder is slow.

What machine are you using it on?

I am thinking about getting one, the V417 has 22 gpm, so might not be too bad.

/ FEL Tree Trimmer #9  
Yep, carbon table saw blade on mine as well...awesome and talk about building forearm strength. I will however share. I have seee a bucket with a receiver tube on both sides of the bucket. this allowed the user to mount a hitch tube 3 ft long. The end of the tube has to sections of 3/4 metal he had milled at a 50degree angle. The same set up a seatbelt cutter works. They pulled up, snag said branch and backed up or let the FEL down and slice the branch was off nice and clean..largest I saw was 3'. Wish I had a pic of it.
Hate to be a spoilsport for a good project,,,,,,but I do exactly what that that guy's doing all the time, with a string-trimmer that has a skilsaw blade on it. I can reach higher, reach lower, cut many more angles, cut each branch in a more sensible way, including flush-cut at ground level, and cut much faster. And not leave any eye-pokers.:shocked:

I can also reduce a cut branch to 1-foot chunks in seconds, and not have to pick it up. TING TING TING TING. Done. I tried a 10" carbide blade, it was heavy, took awhile to spool up and seemed very dangerous, I like the 7 1/4" skilsaw size. Plus I have a stack of old skilsaw blades, so it's almost zero cost.
:cool:

More description on post 56 of this other thread

I recently bought a new echo PAS266 View attachment 396562 with the quick-attach system - and a 3 foot 'extension', I can cut 11 feet high. I have the chainsaw attachment too, for bigger stuff. The skilsaw is much faster and much lighter than the chainsaw on anything less than 2". Out on the end of a 6 foot (or 9 foot) pole the chainsaw weight makes a huge difference, as well as the speed, how long you have to hold position.

Having both is good, especially if you get one stuck you can unhook and cut it out with the other. I find the skilsaw blade to be far easier to use, and can work many more hours than with the chainsaw attachment (due to weight and cut speed). Plus you can cut bushes flush at ground level with the skilsaw.

Here's how I attached the skilsaw blade. Don't even bother testing echo's 'brush blade', you need carbide. You just touch the branch, and TING, TING TING it's gone.

View attachment 396557 View attachment 396558 View attachment 396559
View attachment 396560 View attachment 396561

Sorry for going off-topic, depends if you want to build something, or cut brush. If you want to cut brush, I'm certain the string trimmer option is better.

/ FEL Tree Trimmer
I have seee a bucket with a receiver tube on both sides of the bucket. this allowed the user to mount a hitch tube 3 ft long. The end of the tube has to sections of 3/4 metal he had milled at a 50degree angle. The same set up a seatbelt cutter works. They pulled up, snag said branch and backed up or let the FEL down and slice the branch was off nice and clean..largest I saw was 3'. Wish I had a pic of it.

I made something similar. It is two "knives" mounted to the bucket. See below. They work OK but would like to have something faster and able to cut bigger limbs.

Loader Pic.jpg