Chevy rear end brush cutter

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #1  

country2thesoul

Tractor
1994 Dodge Ram 2500, Yanmar 2210, John Deere 425
Is it possible? To turn a chevy rear end into a brush cutter/brush hog?

I've been thinking of turning a rear end axel differential into a drag style brush cutter. Turning the pinion and pointing it down and attaching a solid homemade blade to it, similar to a regular lawn mower blade except it would be 5 foot long. Basically the blade would turn when pulled and the wheels are turning. What are your thoughts and opinions? Do you think adding a grease zerk to the back of the differential housing to pump full of grease, instead of using oil would work?
What ratio should I use? Thanks for your input!

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #2  
Would not be good for anything rough. Might work otherwise.

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #3  
If you are talking of using the drive shaft to turn the blade and the wheels to turn the shaft, I don't think it will turn fast enough to cut anything.

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #4  
My father used a mercury rear end with drive shaft pointing up to spin and spread chemical fertilizer. way to slow for a bush hog application.
Also the first stump or rock the pinion shaft or ring gear would be damaged not designed for this application.

ken

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #5  
Years ago I read an article about farmers that would pull gangs of these in their corn fields to chop up the corn stover left over after combining. I tried to find it but I didn't have any luck. Basically it was a rear end turned pinion down with a blade setup very similar to present day rough cut mowers with the swinging blades. Whether this would work for grass and scrub I don't know. If you do try it please use a swinging blade type system vs solid one piece as something has to give if you hit a rock.

In our area with irrigation there is a unique pivot gear box oil used that would work great in this application. I use it wherever i have trouble with a gear oil leaking out. 403 Forbidden

It says forbidden but on my computer it goes to the right link.

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter
I'll just be cutting 10 acres of Bermuda grass. No stumps, No stick ups or rocks. Yall say it won't turn fast enough? Wouldn't that depend on your ground speed? The faster you go! The faster your blade would spin?

I've never seen a fertilizer spreader out of one, but that's a good idea! I saw a gentleman that made a post hole digger out of a differential. Which gave me the idea. Of course he was using pto power to the pinion to drive it. It worked exceptionally well. He was digging holes 12" in diameter and 3' deep. I watched him do 4 holes for corner posts in about an hour. Beats the heck out of a manual post hole digger.

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #7  
The rear would be to light imo. I saw something in an old Farm Show Mag. and they used an old 2 speed rear with the inside tires removed and the outside ones filled for traction. It seamed to work but the pics. were in lite grass.

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #8  
Forget the grease though, use gear oil and make a new vent in the rear cover somehow, plug the old vent.

Fred

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter
Isn't the seal on a pinion similar to a dirt seal. From the outside it keeps dirt from getting in and from the inside it keeps the oil from splashing out? The reason for grease is it would leak out as fast or until it got hot and started turning into a liquid form.

I had a small Dozer once and knocked a whole in the final drive case. Couldn't find another case, so I drilled and tapped threads into the oil fill plug and inserted a grease zerk. Pumped about 10 lbs. of grease into the final drive. Covered the whole that I knocked into it with a piece of 11 gauge sheet metal welded to it. It ran good for another 3 years for me until I sold it.

/ Chevy rear end brush cutter #10  
The rear would be to light imo. I saw something in an old Farm Show Mag. and they used an old 2 speed rear with the inside tires removed and the outside ones filled for traction. It seamed to work but the pics. were in lite grass.

Remember the same article, thinking it was thin crp grass that wasn't to hard to cut.