Building Trailer Bows

/ Building Trailer Bows #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
One of the things I do to keep myself out of trouble is to convert small utility trailers into small livestock trailers. After repeated failed attempts to bend 14 gauge, 1 X 1 inch square tubing for the bows I found a way to do it without destroying the tubing. The downside was that method took nearly two hours per bow and with six bows per trailer that was just too much time. So, I turned to a TBN friend who very willingly offered advice, thanks again, Harv. Inspired by what he told me it was back to the drawing board, so to speak. I searched the Web for additional ideas, shamelessly stole the good ones, experimented with a few and finally came up with one that does the hard work in about ten minutes per bow. By the way, I do admit that most of the good ideas I have come up with over the years have been stolen from someone else.

Here are examples of the trailer I built for myself and another one ready for paint.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 495
  • Bows.jpg
    Bows.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 538
   / Building Trailer Bows #2  
Weldingisfun:

Please explain your method of bending. I want to steal it.

/ Building Trailer Bows
One of the ideas gleaned from my Web searches used the 12 ton Harbor Freight pipe bender Hydraulic Pipe & Tube Bender - 12 Ton. Since I already had one I gave it a try. I built a die and two guides to use in place of those that come with the pipe bender which are intended for round pipe. The die is made from a piece of 4.5 inch diameter heavy wall pipe with a piece of 3/8 inch solid round stock welded to it to compress the wall of the tubing during the bending process. The 3/8 inch round was strongly recommended on one of the Web sites visited. Once you see the actual bend you will probably come to the same conclusion I have, that 1/4 inch round stock will most likely to the job with less deforming. I am going to build another one to find out if my suspicion is right.

Attachments

• Bender.jpg
    Bender.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Die.jpg
    Die.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 649
  • Bend Inside.jpg
    Bend Inside.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 600
  • Outside Bend.jpg
    Outside Bend.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 498
   / Building Trailer Bows
Be patient, Farmerford, I am getting there.:rolleyes:

The guides are made from a 3 inch pieces of 1 inch OD black pipe with a one inch ID pieces of black pipe and two one inch washers per guide. They fit right where the HF guides go using the same pins and clips. You can see how the are assembled.

Attachments

• Die and rollers.jpg
    Die and rollers.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 506
  • Roller Guides.jpg
    Roller Guides.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 361
  • Bender set up.jpg
    Bender set up.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 484
   / Building Trailer Bows
Since the bows are 90ー bends, I use the bottom guide pin positions. The pipe bender has been marked to allow me to see that the right angle has been achieved. The trailers I convert are never the same size, ranging from 4 to 5 feet wide, so what I am doing is building the bows in two pieces. The 4 foot wide bows are made from two 32 inch pieces of 1 X 1 square tubing. The next step is to take the two pieces, set them in place on the trailer, mark where they come together, cut the excess off of one side and weld them together.

I will let everyone know in a future post if the 1/4 inch round stock works better than the 3/8 inch or if it works at all.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Bow 1.jpg
    Bow 1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Bow 2.jpg
    Bow 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 401
   / Building Trailer Bows #6  
Very nice! Any more pics of your trailers?

/ Building Trailer Bows
Going back to post #3. I built another die using 1/4 inch round stock to test my theory. I was wrong. With the 1/4 inch round, the sides of the square tube bulged far too much. Apparently, the 3/8 round deforms the inside wall of the curve enough to prevent the sides from bulging. Lesson learned.

/ Building Trailer Bows
Thanks, dieselscout80. Don't have any 5/16" round lying around and the 3/8" does the job, so I'll stay with that.