How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #1  

MFWD

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, a 2007 New Holland Skid Steer and a 1970's 154 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016 John Deere XUV 550 Gator
Hello,
I have a skid steer that I use to plow the lane with, but I have only used the bucket. It works ok, but I think a real plow would work better. I was looking to buy a quick attachment plate out of 3/8" steel to mount it to, but beyond that, I am lost. Do I need to have the blade have the ability to angle left and right? Can this be manual or should it be with hydraulic cylinders. I do have remote hook ups, but I have never used them. I don't need to have a plow that can be raised up and down because I can do this like I would raise the bucket. Can you buy a plow that doesn't have all the raising up and down stuff? I'd like to do this as cheap as possible and I have the necessary skills to fabricate and weld. I just don't understand how everything works or where to buy the parts I need and not a lot of stuff that I don't need !!!! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

MFWD

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #2  
I just put a post in the same snow removal forum using a SSQA for on my JD loader. I found my QA plate on Craigslist for pretty cheap. The plow was the only expensive part.

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #3  
Lots of builds on this site for SSQA;you don't need to power angle if you don't want to but it sure is convenient.Basically you will need a plate and a plow and fabricate your attachment.Used truck plows mostly.

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #4  
Being able to power angle is a must in my mind. If you don't have aux hydraulics you can use the curl circuit.

You'll need to make up a new hose to connect between the curl cylinders. And chain the plow to the cross bar to keep it level.

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #5  
I built mine from a used truck plow I had. I've attached the link. I used a 1/2" thick QA plate (probably overkill) bought from Titan attachments. Hoses and fittings I bought at TSC. Plow cylinders, 1/4" hoses, and cylinder swivel fittings from a local plow repair shop. Cushion relief from a place in PA. Steel from locale steel shop. Had it welded up in a weekend then painted it.

You'll need to find a used plow. A lot of them on CL this time of year. QA plates are available from many places on line. Some steel for bracing (I used both 1/2" and 1/4" thick angle). You already have QA remotes so you just nee d hoses and fittings (probably flat face for skid steer). Welder, maybe a torch set, and grinder.
With the QA plate mounted you use you up /down to raise and lower and remotes to angle.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/323978-snow-plow-build.html?highlight=

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #6  
Hydraulic angle if you can afford it. Build the bracketry so the plow can float. Hinge the bottom bracket to the QA plate. Use a chain or something equivalent to pick it up. Snow blades need to be able to flow with the changing terrain. If not they will gouge or lift from the ground, depending on the situation at hand.

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #7  
If he uses the curl circuit for power angle the curl cylinders will float if he connects a hose between them instead capping them. And then uses the lines that were for those cylinders for the power angle...

Then chain the plow to the loader cross bar so it hangs level. Cheap and effective.

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #8  
He is mounting to a skid steer;already has the aux..circuits.

/ How to build a snow plow for use on a skid steer #10  
look at my snowplow build Pictures on page 2 now "Snow Plow started" . (Sorry, do not know how to link.)
This design could be easily mounted to a skid steer QA plate. It would extend about 30" beyond the front of the QA plate. The AFrame could be pinned if you do not want to use hydraulics to to angle the blade.
I will take more pictures showing my progress tomorrow.
I picked up 2 western snowplow angle cylinders and some skid shoes at the Princess Auto parts on sale a while ago. I still need to get a crossover relief valve and a lift cylinder. The blade I had rolled at a local shop and most of the rest of the steel from the scrap pile.
Cam