Homemade Jaw Crusher.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #11  
What kind of rock will you be crushing?
Basalt, granite, schist, gneiss, limestone, sandstone, quartzite?

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
Hey Renze \I did follow your thread, 12x20 will be a seriously big machine. I know your just doing construction debris but I think you could go quit a bit smaller and build an appropriate feeder.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
Eager to mock up the pieces I have cut so far. Lots of welding on the teeth, ends and much bracing to weld on. Flywheels are 17 inch. Jaws 4x5, bolts are 5/8"

Attachments

• Cutting Slots.jpg
    Cutting Slots.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 814
  • jaw opening 4x5.jpg
    jaw opening 4x5.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Mock-up.jpg
    Mock-up.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 984
   / Homemade Jaw Crusher. #14  
How are you making the offset in the crankshaft to move the jaw?

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
What kind of rock will you be crushing?
Basalt, granite, schist, gneiss, limestone, sandstone, quartzite?

I had to buy a book on trees, guess I have to buy one now on rocks. What ever comes off my screening plant in the earlier photo. The rock has been rolled by 5,000 feet of ice so I imagine the rock is pretty hard.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
The shaft is 1 5/8 inch. I am going to weld a 3/8 chunk of steel on one side of the shaft and build up a lobe to match a set of 2 inch inside diameter bearings. I am looking at between 1/2 and 3/4 inch stroke. That is unless I can think of a better way.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #17  
I had to buy a book on trees, guess I have to buy one now on rocks. What ever comes off my screening plant in the earlier photo. The rock has been rolled by 5,000 feet of ice so I imagine the rock is pretty hard.

Ah - so glacial till. That's the stuff that's left from the mountain that the glacier didn't finish pulverizing. Learn to recognize quartzite and try to wash the stuff before crushing, then pull all the bigger quartzite cobbles you can out of the input stream. It's very hard, tough rock and really has no grain to help initiate fracturing. Anything with a good grain structure should crush up nicely. Looks like you're making the jaws nice and heavy - maybe think about reinforcing the sides with ribs or similar as they may be taking some high wedging forces from the fragments as they break up - maybe not.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #18  
Looks like you're making the jaws nice and heavy - maybe think about reinforcing the sides with ribs or similar as they may be taking some high wedging forces from the fragments as they break up - maybe not.
A rock crusher operating at 300rpm is a high fatigue machine. 300 strain cycles per minute is 18.000 per hour, is 18 million in 1000 operating hours. Welding reduces the fatigue life quite a bit, so IF you weld in the middle of that jaw plate, it has to be a substantial reinforcement or the fatigue life only decreases...

The fatigue of welded joints is the reason many crushers are cast steel: No welding joints :)

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
The Jaw plates will have weld beads along each ridge and ground into some form of a point. The jaw plates will be bolted to 3/8 reinforced plate so that I can remove them and reweld as required. This is a 110Volt welder project which limits the size of steel I am using. It may work, or it may self destruct with the first rock I put in it. As far as the rock, some of the rock has lines in it looking like tree rings, hopefully that means I will get some good results.