Homemade Jaw Crusher.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
In 2013 I found a clean gravel seam on my land. In 2014 I built a gravel screener to remove the larger rocks (greater than an inch). So a few weeks ago when I found a large cast Iron air compressor flywheel I started thinking about building a rock crusher. Luck would be that I found a second flywheel also marked down at 75% off. So I bought a piece of 1.625 inch Rod and a couple of 1 inch thick chunks of hardened steel. I plan to cut grooves into the plate, run a bead of weld and fashion some teeth. Next on my list is a set of 1 1/2 inch pillow block bearings and see if I can get a set of 2.5 in pillow blocks for a reasonable price. It will take a month to come together if I can stay focused. I am looking at a 4inch x 5 inch wide jaw. Flywheels are 17 inch cast Iron. I am into it for $265 which includes a new 6.5 Hp gas engine and hope to keep it under $500,

Attachments

• Flywheelprice.jpg
    Flywheelprice.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 2,763
  • Flywheels1.jpg
    Flywheels1.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 2,035
  • Flywheels2.jpg
    Flywheels2.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 2,317
  • Shaftwith keyway.jpg
    Shaftwith keyway.jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 3,763
   / Homemade Jaw Crusher. #2  
Good deal.. I cannot for the life of me find a rock crusher capable of handling bricks for less than 1k anywhere, and I am not savy enough to build one myself.

My best hope at the moment is a guy that's supposed to be modifying a chain crusher to work with brick.

I have a HUGE pile I want to turn into rubbish to use for a trail in the wet area of the woods.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
Since the Flywheels are also fans I am not sure how much air they will push at 250 RPM so I will set them up to push dust outwards from the crusher.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
A lot of the Chain crushers I studied are used to powder rock so I would be interested to see one modified to create aggregate.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher.
Picture of the rock pile. Hope to crush 4" and smaller rocks to 3/4 inch minus for drainage etch on an upcoming retirement home build project.

Attachments

• Gravel Screener2.jpg
    Gravel Screener2.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 4,943
   / Homemade Jaw Crusher. #6  
I've often wondered if a larger ball mill could make gravel, instead of powder, on a personal use operation. It might be easier to make than the other types. Sort of like a concrete mixer with holes or screen in the side and balls inside.

Ball_mill.gif

Ball mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bruce

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #7  
A lot of the Chain crushers I studied are used to powder rock so I would be interested to see one modified to create aggregate.

Same thing, but with the screen removed from the bottom, possible with 3/4 inch slots welded in. The maker said he would send me a video sometime in the next month or two so we will see.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #8  
A rock crusher is on my wish list too. Maybe it has to wait till retirement (i am 31 by the way)

Are you going to build a double toggle or a single toggle jaw crusher ?

Last edited:
   / Homemade Jaw Crusher.
Building a single toggle. 4x5inch. Not sure what size plate to use for the lower adjuster (fuse) but will start with 1/4 inch plate. I picked up bearings today for the shaft and cam. 3/8 plate etc so it should start to look like a Jaw crusher by the end of the weekend or so I hope because I have now spent $500.

/ Homemade Jaw Crusher. #10  
i am very curious about whats its going to be... my ambition is however a 12x20 inch, to be driven by the PTO of at least a 40hp tractor, so it can crush as fast as my 60hp tractor with loader can fill the feeder chute (off course the vibratory grizzly feeder is the next stage, first get the crusher itself to run)

I have bought heavy H beams from a scrapper which i want to weld intertwined so the 15mm flanges together form a sandwich panel with 30mm wall thickness. Its going to cost me some welding wire rolls, and i dont know what i want to use for bearings yet. Its in my head for 5 years now, so someday i'll just start ;)