Logsplitter 2.0

/ Logsplitter 2.0 #451  
I built a sideways log splitter for my skidsteer. I no longer try and man handle those big rounds. I drive up with the skid steer and set the splitter down on top of the log. I can tighten the log into the splitter and pick up the log and carry it over a trailer, for example, and then hit the button on the thumb control and split that huge round like nobodies business. It has a 30 ton ram and can split rounds that are 3 feet long. It has a massive I-beam on it. The thing is built like a tank. Don't use it often but when I do it makes quick work of those huge rounds!

Sometimes when I get done with a 30", 200# round I wonder if it was worth it! Maple mostly in my case, or ash. All that is forgotten in January, of course. Glad to see all the parts working together. When is the conveyor 2.0 build?
Jim

/ Logsplitter 2.0
Sometimes when I get done with a 30", 200# round I wonder if it was worth it! Maple mostly in my case, or ash. All that is forgotten in January, of course.
Yup ...

I probably could have let the oak set for a year or two and it would have been lighter ... but I figured that if I went ahead and split it, it should be pretty well seasoned by next winter.

Glad to see all the parts working together. When is the conveyor 2.0 build?
Jim
LOL ... that will probably never happen.

I only use wood to heat the shop and as a back up heat source for the house, if there is a problem with the furnace or gas supply.

/ Logsplitter 2.0
I built a sideways log splitter for my skidsteer. I no longer try and man handle those big rounds. I drive up with the skid steer and set the splitter down on top of the log. I can tighten the log into the splitter and pick up the log and carry it over a trailer, for example, and then hit the button on the thumb control and split that huge round like nobodies business. It has a 30 ton ram and can split rounds that are 3 feet long. It has a massive I-beam on it. The thing is built like a tank. Don't use it often but when I do it makes quick work of those huge rounds!
That sounds like the bee's knees ... :thumbsup:

/ Logsplitter 2.0
Awesome job on the splitter! The side lift looks like a back saver!
Thanks.

Yeah, the lift saves a lot of time and effort ... I've been surprised at how much I've been able to get split just by myself ... and without beating up my body too much.

/ Logsplitter 2.0
Needed a way to reach across the log lift table and pull those stubborn rounds that didn't seem to want to roll onto the beam. Also something to cut thru the strings of rounds that don't split completely on the first pass.

Had this old axe head that was cracked all the way across where the handle fits in, as well as a shorter crack ... also had a new Ames 36" hickory handle ... which I failed to notice had the slot for the retaining wedge cut incorrectly when I originally picked it up. Neither are anything I'd want to do any serious whalin' with.

So I welded up the head and then used a zip disc to cut a hook/tooth on the bottom ... seems to work ok:

IMG_0804.jpg

/ Logsplitter 2.0 #457  
It's an Axaroon!

/ Logsplitter 2.0 #459  
First post.
Very interesting read through your build. Nice job and very cool.
I have not even used a splitter yet but plan to build one after reading threads in this forum and actually using a rented one.
I will start a thread for any questions I have.
Thanks for your detail in recording this and to those who participated, this site seems a great resource.
Chad.